1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Clear Coat direct on metal recommendations

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by Trevanion, Apr 22, 2019.

1. Trevanion

Trevanion Member

So in the process of putting a new tank (from an 82 XJ550) on my 81 XJ750 two years ago, I realized that I really liked the look of the bare steel. (I had sandblasted the tank.) So I just threw a coat of automotive clear coat on it and put it on the bike. I used truck bed liner to paint the cutaways, which I also really like because it gives some soft friction where my knees hit the tank.

Some minor rust has developed under the clear coat, which is unsightly. More importantly, however, it turns out that both these products are soluble with even quick exposure to gasoline. The truck bed liner dripped black tar onto the carb side, and looks awful. The clear coat seems to have completely dissolved where gasoline spilled, and is now exposed metal. (It wouldn't have occurred to me that truck bed liner would be gas soluble, that seems stupidly short-sighted.)

Any suggestions on how to achieve the look I'm going for with gas-proof products?

Attached Files:

2. Ryengoth

Ryengoth Active Member

Clear powder coating or clear engine enamel with ceramic should be good with enough cure time.

3. Colin 85 700

Colin 85 700 Active Member

Instead if clear, use a steel polish or a gun bluing to seal the tank its better.
    If you dont want the "blue look" from a gun/knife blueing kit, this polush is meant for chrome and alluminum, however ive had great results on steel with lots of elbow grease.

Attached Files:

4. Colin 85 700

See my posts on 85 xj700 winter paint.....
    To see some results
    As for the rubber look, id literally glue rubber pads on the tank, an old door mat cut tomshape perhaps?

5. Trevanion

Trevanion Member

I really like the look of some of the gun blued tanks I'm seeing on a google search. Thanks for the idea. Any experience or perspective on how that would hold up to regular gasoline exposure?

6. mlew

mlew Well-Known Member

7. jayrodoh

jayrodoh YimYam Premium Member

X2 on this. I've yet to see a single part spray paint that is fuel resistant, that includes engine paints. Spraymax 2k or Eastwood 2k would be ideal.

8. Ryengoth

Ryengoth Active Member

2K is good stuff, if you lay it right. That's what I use on auto body parts. If you over do the coats and don't layer them right you will end up with an ugly drip stain on the tank. I just found out that paint stripper (which contains ether) has been restricted from consumer shelf sales in CA. (Typical, I can still buy acetone) O'reilly stopped selling all of it unless you have a commercial account. I'm not sure if it's across the board for all other auto stores or just them. Might want to keep that in mind because 2K is extremely hard stuff, same for the activated urethane spray cans.

9. Trevanion

Trevanion Member

This stuff looks awesome. Thanks for the recommendation. All the technical info I'm seeing on it is talking about applying it over paint. Anybody have experience or info on applying it to bare metal?

10. Ryengoth

Ryengoth Active Member

Heavy acetone wipe down, lint free cloth. Immediately spray a light first coat would be my suggestion. Once that's cured for the base, you can apply normally.

11. Colin 85 700

Gun blueing soaks into the metal, i use it on rusty snowmobile clutch shafts to inhibit further corrosion.
    Even the belt rubbing on the shaft and the bushings sluding dont seem to wear it off.
    Just buy quality bluing, the gel/paste in a tube is better than liquid. Apply a few times.
    Fuel shouldnt affect it

12. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

considering the solvent used to clean your gun I would expect it to withstand gasoline