1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Clutch Adjustment & Clutch Cable Replacement Procedure

Discussion in 'XJ DIY How-To Instructions' started by RickCoMatic, Nov 23, 2006.

1. DeMentedToys

DeMentedToys Member

Yup, when it is completely warm, it will shift into gear without dying, but will hardly move when the engine revs with the clutch released. Crap. Looks like I will be pulling the clutch cover back off tonight after work.

2. parts

parts Member

One step that has been missing in the discussion is the small
    and thin bearing that sits between the the pull rod
    and plate washer. If this bearing is worn out, the clutch will not
    perform right.

On the 700n this bearing so thin I wonder how it lasts at all.

3. DeMentedToys

DeMentedToys Member

I'll definately check it again when I pull it apart. Thanks for the tip.

4. DeMentedToys

DeMentedToys Member

I got the cover off and the clutch discs removed. With the center nut and inner basket still in place I can wiggle the outer basket with my hand, not backward and forward in the direction it turns, but it moves laterally up and down with quite a bit of play. Im thinking this may not be right or good. The center nut is torqued to specs. The outer basket seems to have quite a bit of play in it. Any experts want to diagnose this?

5. bigfitz52

bigfitz52 Well-Known Member Premium Member

As in, moves in relation to the hub, in such a way that would put it NOT CONCENTRIC with the hub when moved? Or "in and out" sliding on the shaft it sits on?

6. DeMentedToys

DeMentedToys Member

in relatin to the hub. kind o like a tire will move if you pull on the top and bottom when the wheel bearing is shot.

7. DeMentedToys

DeMentedToys Member

The bearing looks fine, but there is a decent amount of play between the bearing and race. I swapped on another basket, and bearing, then a different inner basket and hand tightened the center nut. No play in the outer basket now... But since I broke one of the spring studs off trying to get the center nut loose, I'll need a new one.. :(

8. RickCoMatic

RickCoMatic Well-Known Member

This place might have what you need.
    I know they have a wrecked 700 & Max-X.
    I have to go up there to get a Carb Body.

Worth a phone call if you're stuck.

DrumHill Cycle - Nashua, NH Yamaha Used Parts

9. bigfitz52

Yuck. "Wobble" top to bottom, or move straight toward you and away from you on the shaft?

You talked about "sanding out divots." If you removed too much metal it's gonna hang up anyway. I think it might be time for a new basket and hub. Low-mileage parts can be found on eBay all the time.

Might want to pop it apart and have a look.

10. DeMentedToys

DeMentedToys Member

Yeah, I took it apart, thats how I knew it had play in it. Can new bearing and race be ordered to fix the problem?

11. RickCoMatic

RickCoMatic Well-Known Member

You'll find the Bearings size engraved on the race.
    Place a call to a Bearing Supply Outlet and you can avoid the high cost of ordering one at the Dealer and paying extra for a Logo'ed Bar Code Sticker and a Plastic bag.

See if Forum Member: chacal ... the sites home parts supplier can help you..

12. bigfitz52

DeMented; this might be a good time to start a new thread of your own in regard to your clutch instead of "adding on" to Rick's how-to.

One thing I missed, and I don't feel like running back thru 5 pages to find it is:

What bike are we talking about?

Be a really big help if it was in your signature...

13. DeMentedToys

DeMentedToys Member

Fitz, if this is a tech article then it needs to be made a sticky and be locked. If you run back through 5 pages you will notice several other questions before mine. If you have a problem please send me a personal message. Rick has been VERY helpful and I greatly appreciate it. I didn't start a new topic because there are already plenty of clutch related topics. Just because a forum member has a particular year and model of XJ in their signature does NOT mean they are working on that particular bike. What if they are working on a friends bike? What if, like myself, they have 3 different XJs? I've seen you post that "If it was in your signature," bit on other topics. Have you thought about that? Plus, it's rude. I joined this forum because I absolutely love the XJs, not to be flamed for posting on an open topic.

Let's stay on topic. Topic being clutch adjustment. I'm trying to figure out why I can't get mine adjusted. It's an 83 XJ750.

14. bigfitz52

I'm not "flaming" anyone. This is a "how-to" and we don't seem to be able to get them locked and sticked (or moved to "FAQ Final") any more.

You have more of a problem-solving question; you'll get better advice if it was in its own thread rather than being a set of "add on" responses to this "how-to."

More people are likely to read it if you start it as a new thread; I was trying to help you get your issue solved more quickly, not just criticizing to criticize.