1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Clutch slipping at higher RPM?

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by maximjim, Jan 8, 2006.

1. maximjim

maximjim New Member

Relatively new rider unsure if what I am experiencing is the clutch in my 82 Maxim slipping when accelerating.

When accelerating harder than "normal" and running the RPM up around 5 - 6K, I feel a hestitation or skipping and can hear the engine RPM increase without speed increase. Normal acceleration where I keep the RPM under 4K and don't wind it out seems ok, but I am not experienced with many bikes and don't have alot of ride time.

My question is, could the clutch be going? Is what I described typical of the clutch starting to go, or some other problem instead? I will be taking this to the local Yamaha dealer for a look-see, but don't have another good local mechanic or rider to get a second opinion.

Thanks!!

2. chevy45412001

chevy45412001 Member

without know which bike you drive i would say time for clutches. Reason i say that on the 1100 maxim there is an adjustment under a little side cover to get a lil more adjustment out of it before actualy changing the clutch plates.

3. maximjim

maximjim New Member

It is a XJ650J (82 Maxim). Thanks for the reply.

4. jdrich48

jdrich48 Member

Jim, I don't have any info on your clutch, but that sure is a nice looking ride. I just bought one like it a couple months ago. I sure hope when I get done with my cleaning and painting, it looks half as good as yours.
    Was the engine that clean when you bought it? If not I need some tips from you on detailing the engine.
    I just painted my tank a couple weeks ago, it turned out pretty well. You can see it at, http://www.slygrin.net/xjpics/html/rblankenship_2.html

Good luck with your clutch.

5. capy

capy Member

Yep, it's sounds like the clutch plates. Make sure that you check the steels, they usually don't need changing unless you want. The fibers are usually the only ones you need to change. Can save you a lot of money.

6. maximjim

maximjim New Member

JD... Thanks for the advice and kind words regarding my bike. It was pretty much that clean when I got it. I did use an engine cleaner on it once, but that was mostly to get road grime off the front of the engine and oil filter.

I think yours already looks as good, and the paint is fanatastic! I've considered getting my tank repainted as well. It looks ok in the pics but there are some age cracks, big chip from the key (gas cap) and a long scratch on the right. How much did the tank repaint cost? Did they put the blue flake on it as original?

Thanks again.

-------------------------------------
    '82 Maxim 650

7. jdrich48

jdrich48 Member

Jim, I painted the tank myself using spray cans. I got the idea from the xjcd. It has an article about the procedure for doing it yourself.
    It's just acrylic laquer paint, gloss black that I bought at advance auto parts.
    I put 4 coats of primer, 5 coats black, 5 coats clear coat. No blue flakes.