1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Colortune and synch questions

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by waldreps, Aug 2, 2014.

1. waldreps

waldreps Active Member

I have a few questions about colortuning and carb synching.

What type of temporary fuel supply setup do I need when I do these so that I can get to the respective adjustment screws? What parts will I need to make this?

Can anybody give me a quick overview of what color I'm looking for with the colortune? Do I go to orange and then back to blue or what exactly is the process?

When I do the carb synch, is there a specific idle speed that I need to set it to while doing the synch or is it just the standard idle speed?

Thanks,
    Stacy

2. PilotSmack

PilotSmack Active Member

All you need is access to the vac sync screws, and mixture screws. I left my tank on, but raised with a block of wood to allow access. If it's a YICS engine, you'll need a YICS blocker (Len has them).

Start with the engine warm (10+ min ride), and do the VAC SYNC first. Place a fan pointed at the engine to keep cooling it for this process. #3 has no sync screw, it will be the "master" so to speak. Hook your manometer ( or whatever vacuum gauge setup you have), and compare 3 to 4, 1 to 2, and 2 to 3, adjusting as necessary. Remember to keep pulling the YICS blocker out between tests and reoiling it... don't wanna lose a seal.

Similar for colortuning, with a warm engine, block YICS and test each cylinder. You want it just lean of yellow. Remember that too lean will cause a hot engine, so it's better to be just a touch rich, just once the blue starts.

After that, vac sync and colortune again, since little changes change the setup on the other test.

Somebody else has done better write ups on these, I know I'm not good at explaining it, sorry.

3. BruceB

BruceB Active Member

Going to try and save you a bunch of frustration.

First question is how did you wet set the floats? It usually requires a temporary fuel supply tank.

If you haven't accomplished the following, vac sync and colotune are useless.

1) Valve Clearances in spec.
    2) Church of clean to the carbs..new seals and float valves.
    3) bench sync all 4 carbs
    4) wet set the floats to spec
    5) turn a/f mixture out 2 3/4 turns from soft bottom
    6) new spark plugs
    7) reassemble and set idle, run bike for 20 minutes on the road
    8. ) remove seat, tank, box fan in front of engine for cooling
    9) insert YICS blocking tool if applicable
    10) install temporary gas tank and vac sync tool.
    11) perform vac sync
    12) shut off engine, remove one plug and insert colortune.
    13) tune each cylinder one at a time with colortune
    14) reverify vac sync.
    15) reassemble bike, adjust idle.
    16) go for a ride,
    17) try to remove the big smile on face... :)

hope this helps

Been.jamming likes this.
  4. Polock

Polock Well-Known Member

you can skip the YICS tool if you want

5. BruceB

BruceB Active Member

Oh Polock...here we go again....a whole thread about whether to or not to use a YICS tool....lol

Good thing I am thirsty...be watching this thread like a cat....lol

6. Polock

Polock Well-Known Member

Bruce, i take it your a "tool" kind of guy. all i can say is try it once without the tool and come to your own conclusion.

7. BruceB

BruceB Active Member

Naw ..not a tool guy...but I have actually tried it both ways...the YICS tool is what I am talking about. The only thing I can say, using a 4 gauge sync tool is that #3 and #4 would not tune down separately without the YICS. Not a whole lot off, probably not enough to make a difference, but since with the tool, I got all 4 carbs more in sync. Again the difference was negligible. I just enjoyed the last time this came up watching everybody bat this subject around like a grenade in a foxhole.