1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Complete XJ650 Rebuild

Discussion in 'XJ Modifications' started by Devin Zdanciewicz, Feb 8, 2016.

1. Devin Zdanciewicz

Devin Zdanciewicz Member

Good news! No damage (outside of the bolts getting chewed up)
    Replaced them today and added loctite.
    Took it out for a little roll around and things seemed to be very smooth so hopefully that problem is in the past.

Next question, which was looked over before.
    I start the bike and it idles between 1200-1500 rpm. Can get into 1st, 2nd, 3rd pretty good. When I slow down and drop back to 1st it is almost impossible to get it into neutral. Just skips right over it. On top of that when I come to a stop it revs up to 2500-3000 rpm.
    Eventually I will try moving again and try and get through gears but now it is struggling.

In my mind I think my bowls have not filled up with gas, also my like I have "used up" what's in there and the tank can fill fast enough. Not sure if that is even a thing.

I am running air pods and have changed my main fuel jet to 120's and pilots to 41's. I aslso have PVC tubes in the pods to help control the air flow direction. I know pods are always a debate on here but the PVC had got me the closest to controlling idle. I feel like this is not about the pods but more about the carbs, etc.

I am not worried about proformance, etc. right now. Just looking to ride.

Any ideas or suggestions?

2. Devin Zdanciewicz

Devin Zdanciewicz Member

Took my first ride around today! Very pleasing feeling after almost 2 years of this rebuild.

Couple things I was hoping to see if anyone had suggestions on to help me feel more comfortable on this.

1. After riding for a while, I get white smoke coming out of my shifter case. Pouring out. I have a little pod filter on there because I have no air box. Not sure if that is normal or something I need to correct.

2. 2nd gear is kind of a SOB and it was this way when I bought bike 2 years ago. My friend rode it and said there was a problem. Not knowing, I tore the whole engine apart and found my 2nd fork snapped. So I want to figure out what that is before I snap this one. 1st and 3rd, 4th, 5th... All very smooth no catching. But 2nd will catch accelerating and when I am trying to pull out of a rolling stop from 2nd, very catching, jumpy.
    I have read a lot about different oils, etc.
    Along with this I have a very minor oil leak. Maybe .5 oz. a day, again coming from the shifter case (not sure if that is the right name)

3. Finally, bike will not start cold at all. Need to use starter fluid. Then when I have it somewhat warm. One push and it starts everytime, no choke needed.

3. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

1. Oil mist. Get a length of oil line and run it yp along the frame so the filter is tucked in out of the rain. The mist will collect in the hose and run back down into the sump.

2. Sounds like the dogs on #2 may be worn. Did you replace the alternator chain guide when you had the cases split?

3. What is the idle set at when the engine is fully hot? You need to find a middle ground between full hot idle and just warm idle, or you'll have cold-starting problems. Don't trust the tachometer to be completely accurate about what the idle speed really is. The idle when fully hot will be a bit higher than when just warm.

4. Devin Zdanciewicz

Devin Zdanciewicz Member

1. Can do. Does the length matter or just far enough to tuck away?

2. Yes I replaced the chain guide. The large black "plastic" (not sure if it is or not) piece that bolts in, yes. Hopefully it isn't something else I missed. I have just read a lot about slipping wet clutchs and then grabbing hard, so that is in my head everytime it catches:/

3. After my ride, I had a great idle at 1050-1150, sounded very good. But the engine was pretty hot. At just warm, 1200 and up seems to be where I need to keep it before it wants to die, then after it gets warmer, I can get closer to 1100. Still sounds a little fast at just warm but again I messed around with my carbs and jets. So I imagine things are gonna be slightly different.
    Could I be too rich at cold start? 41 pilot jets right now... Not sure if that could be it.
    I color tuned it pretty warm twice this weekend and feel good about it but after how the bike sounded after the ride today and the idle after. Makes me want to try it again.

5. k-moe

1. Just long enough to tuck away, but longer is better than shorter so the oil doesn't soak the filter.

2. Good deal. Try a smooth-firm shift. It may just be your technique not playing well with a 30 year old machine.

I have the hot idle on my 750 set to around 1200 RPM and it starts well when cold. Every bike will be a bit different for a great number of reasons, all having to due with wear as the engine gets used, so play around with your idle speed until you find that happy medium.
    If it starts on ether then you aren't too rich when cold.

6. Devin Zdanciewicz

Devin Zdanciewicz Member

Got some good and bad news about this project.
    Crashed the bike on a turn the first couple days out:/ That's the bad news.
    Good news is I'm ok (outside of some scratches and two broken bones in my hand) and the bike still runs outside of a completely ruined headlight (looking for a replacement. mainly the ring and blub, my bucket might be ok), bent exhaust mufflers, bent handlebars, and a clicking/rubbing in my swing arm which seems to be just past the U-joint.
    Back to wrenching so I can get out again maybe in a few weeks:)

Oh yea, wear a helmet if you don't. That is the only thing I remember about my crash and they are worth every dollar.

7. Yardawg

Yardawg Active Member

Wow that's too bad about your bike but glad you're ok!

Devin Zdanciewicz likes this.
  8. TheCrazyGnat

TheCrazyGnat Well-Known Member

Hope you have a speedy recovery, and that the hand issue isn't too disruptive.

Devin Zdanciewicz likes this.
  9. Devin Zdanciewicz

Devin Zdanciewicz Member

Back to fixing some stuff on the bike after the crash now they gave me the go ahead to move my fingers;/

Looked at all the damage and everyting is good but have some sound coming from my swingarm, a rubbing sound when I spin the back tire.
    I thought that possibly the U-joint got slightly bent and was barely touching the inside of the swing arm, so I replace the U-joint and inspected the drive shaft. All looks good and the sound is still there.
    So I am wondering if the Middle Gear (the part that sticks out of the back of the end of the engine, not sure if that is the right term) is bent slightly?

Attached is a video of the sound, you can't see, but the engine wiggles back and forth when it rubs.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2016
  10. k-moe

Pull the wheel.
    Look and liaten as you spin the drive splines.
    Pull the final drive.
    Look and listen as you spin the drive shaft.
    Pull the driveshaft.
    Check for straightness.
    Basically pull a part off and see if the sound goes away. Repeat until you find the culprit.

My guess.... the tire is rubbing. The question is why.

Furman likes this.
  11. Devin Zdanciewicz

Devin Zdanciewicz Member

Hey guys, been a while.
    Got the bike back on the road last night for the first time in almost 2 months! Felt pretty good:)

My hand seems to be back to normal and think I repaired all the problems on the bike. Leaking a little Oil which took a new gasket. Got a new headlight which was damaged in the crash. New handle bars. And while in the process upgraded to a Mac 4 into 1 exhaust.

Finally got it started last night which sounded pretty good overall. Had a little problem getting it started, had been siting for a little bit.

Question and this was happening before the crash.
    I can not get it to start with out spraying some starting fluid in the carbs. Once it fires up things seem to run fine. Before the crash if I shut the bike off it would start up fine (being that it was warmed up) but a cold start never happened.

Last night once I had it running I took a little spin around the neighborhood, overall it seemed to idle pretty well at 1100-1200 RPM but at that moment I realized my choke was on the whole ride. Once I shut the bike off and turned the choke off, it wouldn't start again.

Am I running Rich or Lean, where to I start to get this thing to start cold?

12. dkavanagh

dkavanagh Well-Known Member Premium Member

I'd start by looking at the plugs. Are they a tan-brown color? If not, you have some adjusting to do.
    Not starting, even with choke on, leads me to think the enrichment circuit(s) are gummed up or blocked. I will say, I find how much choke I use depends on outdoor temp. Too much or too little and it won't fire.

13. Devin Zdanciewicz

Devin Zdanciewicz Member

I checked one last night and I would say slightly black, dusty.

14. Devin Zdanciewicz

Devin Zdanciewicz Member

I ended up finding out that 4 bolts that held my U-joint to the Middle gear output shaft, I had put new bolts on there and they were maybe 2 cm too long and were rubbing on the inside lip of the swing arm. Ground them down and no sound at all. Sometime so small...blow my mind really:)

Just need to get this thing to start without starting fluid and I am good to go:)

k-moe likes this.
  15. hogfiddles

hogfiddles XJ-Wizard, Host-Central NY Carb Clinic Moderator Premium Member

Devin,

There are those of us (ahem.....) that are affectionately known as 'Parts Hoarders"--- if you need parts, contact me ( ahem....I mean US), and I'll (cough cough,I mean WE'll) see what parts are laying around. It'll cost a whole lot less than Ebay!!!

Glad you're on the sunny side of the dirt.

Dave f

16. hogfiddles

hogfiddles XJ-Wizard, Host-Central NY Carb Clinic Moderator Premium Member

Considering it's getting cold, have you checked the status of your battery? If it's not too strong, you''ll turn the engine over just fine, but there's not enough juice to actually get a spark going.

As far as enricher---sounds like you have some clogged jets somewhere.......