1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Convert to LED headlight XJ1100

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by Cudaguy, Sep 7, 2018.

1. Cudaguy

Cudaguy Member

I've been looking at LED headlights on Amazon and Ebay. There seem to be many 7 inch LED with projector lens available at what seems like non crazy prices ( 60-100 bucks). But they all refer to fitting Harley, some need an adapter ring, some don't mention it.

I have this posted in the modifications forum, but wondered if maybe this is the better spot for this

I'm looking for ideas and info...how as it gone and what worked or didn't work. My current headlight works, it just seems like it doesn't do a great job of lighting the road ahead and the high beam is a hindrance vs a help.

Here is an example of something I looked at

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B018LXCS0...m/images/I/51LTh2A+mJL.jpg&sb-ci-a=B018LXCS0C

Any help is appreciated

2. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

Have you removed the headlight from the bike, removed the bulb, and cleaned inside of the housing?

On bit thing to look for when buying any aftermarket headlamp is a DOT certification. LOts of sellers want your money, but not all of them will sell you something that's legal for road use.

Door dude likes this.
  3. mlew

mlew Well-Known Member

Keep the headlight and install a pair of LED auxiliary lights. They are half the cost of the headlight . There are many sets to choose from that range in price from 20 to 50 bucks. I have them on all my bikes and even the cheap ones over power the stock headlight.

Robinwolfy likes this.
  4. Cudaguy

Cudaguy Member

So I did pull the trigger and replaced the beadlamp with the LED listed above. WOW, what an improvement! Brighter,whiter, a wider beam. Riding up north in deer country was not intimidating when we had two of us riding tightly staggered. I still need to do the warning indicator mod to stop the alert light, but the upgrade is great and well worth it.

5. Rooster53

Rooster53 Well-Known Member Premium Member

Nice to see a DOT certified headlight that you are happy with, and at a decent price.

So I was curious if you are getting the warning light indicator in both the low and high beam selection? There are some reports that some of the LED lights will actually produce enough of a load on the non-illuminated side to defeat the filament check, although it is pretty much a certainty that the warning will be set in high beam because of the wiring scheme of the high beam indicator bulb. Have you noticed any change in the brightness of the high beam indicator and are you still running with the incandescent bulb in the high beam indicator? As to whether the LED bulbs that do produce enough of a load to defeat the filament check on the non-illuminated side it is still questionable if the CMS would ever detect that side as being defective as was intended with the original design.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2019
  6. Cudaguy

Cudaguy Member

I get the warning light right from the get go, whether in low or high beam mode. I have not really studied the changes I need to effect t get rid of it, I did a quick summary review of the post about LED lites, but didnt really see anything about headlights, just turn signal and rear lites. Ill get to it eventually.