1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Current issues with the new 750 Seca.. (pictures)

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by Chorca, Apr 24, 2009.

1. Chorca

Chorca Member

Well, I'm sure most of the forum members here have seen their share of bad bikes, know what the PO's have done to them and such.. I thought I'd share a bit through pictures though, maybe you'll laugh or something at these... there's a couple questions in there too, I'm not super sure on some of these things!

Click on any picture to see it larger.

Not sure what's up with this tire. Was flat when i went out this morning after sitting for only a couple days. Checked it for nails/punctures and didn't see anything. Pumped it up to 30 and it held while I was working on it. Wondering if this cracking is bad..
    [​IMG]

The guy said "They put a *huuuge* tire on the back." Looks like it's a bit too big. The tire rubs against the swingarm on the left side. Just cause the tire's too big? What size should I be running?
    [​IMG]

Not sure what to do here. The guy said he put a new relay(?) in.. Don't have the Haynes manual yet, but it's on the way. Hafta figure out a way of mounting this up in there. Oh, and he didn't give me the side panel. Go figure.
    [​IMG]

That rubber bumper is loooong gone.
    [​IMG]

Yeaaah.. looks like I'm gonna need to work on these screws..
    [​IMG]

Or.. I won't. Is this screw really missing?
    [​IMG]

Hmm.. Looks like someone needs a new valve cover gasket..
    [​IMG]

That's a great way to attach those turn signals..
    [​IMG]

Looks like someone had something mounted here at one time...
    [​IMG]

No brake handle? No problem! Just flip a clutch handle upside-down...
    [​IMG]

This spring doesn't look like it came that way...
    [​IMG]

Not sure what these are for.. maybe whatever was mounted up top?
    [​IMG]

These manifolds need some work...
    [​IMG]

More awesome wiring...
    [​IMG]

The Notorious... with modification..
    [​IMG]

Not actually sure how this worked on the way home...
    [​IMG]

Isn't this supposed to be bolted down?
    [​IMG]

Nice 'n rounded. Brake reservoir, I take it?
    [​IMG]

At least the air filter looks somewhat good..
    [​IMG]

At least it's clean inside...
    [​IMG]

The top plastic piece held in with the one screw looks hacksawed off. Is that how it's supposed to look?
    [​IMG]

That's a mess. Particularly confusing is the bundled up black wire dangling by the light, and the disconnected wire beneath all those connectors.
    [​IMG]

Is something supposed to connect to that pin and go into this slot?
    [​IMG]

Thanks for looking, let me know if this is too much and i'll clear it out. Any other suggestions are welcome!

2. motorduck

motorduck Member

"Is something supposed to connect to that pin and go into this slot?"

Yes. It's a chain that comes with the bike. To lock it up.

3. Chorca

Chorca Member

Haha! Good call. I do remember reading something about a chain one time...

4. sushi_biker

sushi_biker Member

Fuel tank:

You're missing the rubber buffer and two-piece metal clip that holds it down.

Headlight bucket- Yes, it's a mess. Everything passes thru there.
    Brake resevoir- Yes. Ours sucks. The Maxim is mounted on the handlebar.
    Fuse block- Replace it with Chacal's blade fuse block upgrade.
    Wiring- Yeah, it's a bummer. Clean it up and solder connections where you can.
    Tire: Score a used owner's manual from eBay. They pop up all the time. It has the correct tire size listed. Yes, yours is too big, but you'll have GREAT traction. :)

5. bigfitz52

bigfitz52 Well-Known Member Premium Member

check the date codes on the tires; I suspect you're going to be replacing them anyway.

Get yourself some Kroil, you're gonna need it: http://www.kanolabs.com/google/ two cans for $12 shipping included.

6. Chorca

Chorca Member

*starts adding parts into the spreadsheet* parts parts and more parts. That's how we fix the bike!

I used an impact wrench (mini Hitachi cordless one, ~70ft-lbs) on the exhaust manifold bolts, the nuts came right off! Very rusty too, surprised they came off so easily after 27 years. I'm going to get a few other bits so I can use it on the other pieces and parts, seems to work very well for breaking that mechanical bond that happens.

The rear tire seems to be quite weather-checked. The guy said he put new tires on in september, but I'm most likely going to get them replaced anyways. They're 140/90-18's.. I was looking on sites like Dunlop and Bridgestone.. doesn't seem like they have many tires that size. I believe the one on there is a Cheng Shin HI-Max. Seems the largest most tire manufs. make is 130/90-18..

Headlight bucket is pretty done. The screws holding the lamp in are very stripped, the plastic bucket is cracked in several places. Horn gives a faint "mmf" when the button is pushed. I'll prolly just try and get a new bucket.

7. SLKid

SLKid Active Member

WOW!
    That IS a mess! POs are NUTS! Takin all the shortcuts.. Get that fuse panel done with some blades AsAp. They like to crystalize.
    There are screws in the center of the horn you can turn to fix the sound. Sushi has a great post about the horns, so I'd ask him to look into it.
    Wow man. You know, i thought my bike was in bad shape from being handed from one owner to the next, but yours takes the cake with all the little odds and ends that need to be fixed.
    Best of wishes!! It'll be a beauty when you're done
    -StreetLegalKid

8. sushi_biker

sushi_biker Member

Horn: Adjust the pitch adjustment set-screw on the horn. Press the button as you screw it in and out, that'll loosen up the diaphram and make it beep.

9. SLKid

SLKid Active Member

Sushi is really a Shaman

10. sushi_biker

sushi_biker Member

Pffffft...dude, I'm brand-new here. I take my cues from Fitz, MiCarl, Chacal and several others. From time to time, I sprinkle in my own experiences.

11. MiCarl

MiCarl Active Member

Rear tire 120/80 18 65H

Front tire 3.25H19 which is a 100/90 19 with an H speed rating. Yamaha provides no load rating, but frankly there is so little weight on the front of these things you'll be fine with anything.

12. Chorca

Chorca Member

Awesome. I'll see what I can find locally, haven't looked around yet to see if there's any local shops here to mount them for me. Might as well change out the drum pads while i've got it off..

13. MiCarl

MiCarl Active Member

I forgot to mention in my last post - if they are cracking replace them even if they're only a day old. Looks like you're planning on that anyhow.

14. Robert

Robert Active Member

The pigtail hanging out of the headlight bucket ( Pic #12 Not sure what these are for) look like the brake reservoir fluid indicator switch. Given the stripped state of the master cylinder cap (Pic #18), I'd be pulling that sucker out pronto.

15. Chorca

Chorca Member

Pulling the master cylinder out? Or checking inside?

16. Robert

Robert Active Member

I'd pull the m/c out to rebuild it! Given the obvious state of neglect witnessed I'd be durn sure to go over the all IMPORTANT brake system to ensure my (and by this I mean YOU) continued well-being.

17. Chorca

Chorca Member

Doesn't look like Chacal stocks replacement M/Cs.. rebuild kits maybe..

18. dpawl31

dpawl31 Member

Yes he has the rebuild kits.

M/C are very pricey anyway, as I recall.

Sushi - for the horn, is the pitch adjustment screw the one dead center of the diaphragm?

19. sushi_biker

sushi_biker Member

Oye...I can't remember exactly where it is, but I can tell you that it's a tiny, philips head screw with a tiny lock-nut. It does not look like a screw that holds the assembly together, nor does it look like mounting hardware. It IS off by itself on the horn body.

20. dpawl31

dpawl31 Member

Ah, will check that out tonight.

Chorca- your bike looks like it's been screwed with more than my SECA, BARELY... but still in much better shape overall. Good luck with it.
    Everyone here will help you get that running in no time, assuming you have the cash flow for it! ha - ha !