1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Custom intake manifold..

Discussion in 'XJ Modifications' started by EddyV54, Jun 5, 2012.

1. EddyV54

EddyV54 New Member

My stock intake manifold has a few crack/gouges in it. I sealed with ductape, but the box that the air filter sits in is broke off the manifold unit.

I was thinking of creating a 1 into 4 intake using pvc pipe,some sort of tubing and a singular air filter, say an after market k&n auto air filter.. Anything that would fit like a cap.

Would you suggest that I instead, focus on trying to use the existing manifols and build a box, or some how reattach the pieces I have, or create something else. Your responses are appreciated.

2. fintip

fintip Member

It's kind of a delicately balanced system, from what I understand--just slapping some tubes together is likely to affect that balance. If you must do a custom setup, I would imagine you'd be told to try and get the stock air filter to fit, since that's a bottleneck in the system that would help you maintain the stock equilibrium--otherwise, you better be ready to rejet to compensate for changes in air flow.

3. Metal_Bob

Metal_Bob Active Member

how many pieces is the stock air box in? Beyond plastic epoxy repair? At least until you pull the engine and swap in a solid replacement box.

PICS?

4. Maxim-X

Maxim-X Well-Known Member

Get some pics posted of what you have to work with, then we may be able to give you a workable reccomendation.

5. Orange-n-Black

Orange-n-Black Well-Known Member

There has been a few attempts at a pvc air intake with little success. The secret is to get even airflow to all carbs which isn't an easy task. One member made a custom airbox with a hole in the bottom for a inlet. He posted a pic, but you really can't make anything out from it.
    You could try streetbrawler750's velocity stacked pods with some jetting or make your own airbox.

6. EddyV54

EddyV54 New Member

Here's a picture(s) of the airbox.

Its really not in too bad of shape.. Just need to reattached the 'box' to the manifold.. and make sure the two holes are air tight next to where the box is.

Attached Files:

7. Maxim-X

Maxim-X Well-Known Member

I'd say that is repairable with the use of the proper adhesive and backing material to "sandwich" the sides for strength. But what I'd really like to see is the wine bottle that needs a corkscrew the size of the one shown in the bottom left corner of the pic! 8O
    :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

8. EddyV54

EddyV54 New Member

Ha ha.. Its a yard hitch for my dog.

9. CadMonster650

CadMonster650 New Member

My German Shorthair ripped those corkscrew things right out of the ground when she was a pup. crazy dog... anyway, I'd try to fix that air box if you can. these motors seem to run a lot better with a stock intake setup. or at least they are easier to tune.

10. earz_cd

earz_cd Member

How about rivets and a silicone bead between the two pieces to seal it together?

11. clancey32

clancey32 New Member

I have a 2 into 4 setup on my 81 xj750. Home made pvc with 2 pods. Looks awesome and runs great. Pic's in my profile.

12. Joey5j55

Joey5j55 New Member

Can you send me pictures I looked and couldn't find any picture

13. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

last seen june 2012.

if you click on the posters avatar it will tell you when they were here last

Joey5j55 likes this.