1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

difference - single disc vs double disc - master cylinder?

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by SnoSheriff, Apr 3, 2006.

1. SnoSheriff

SnoSheriff Site Owner Staff Member Administrator

Is there master cylinder difference between single disc and double disc brakes? My Maxim is double disc and I’m wondering if I can install master cylinder that was used on single disc XJ?

2. NACHOMAN

NACHOMAN Member

Dual disc masters should have a larger diameter piston.
    The single disc master should require more pull to achive the same stopping power.
    It may or may not work, but it will feel different.
    I would stick with the dual master or get an aftermarket unit.

Nachoman

3. Hired_Goon

Hired_Goon Member

Re: difference - single disc vs double disc - master cylinde

Have to agree. Having just converted from single disc to double I am amazed at the minimal effort it takes to stop the bike now.

The single required a heap of pressure and never really felt like great stopping power. (Never had to test it thankfully)

Duals will bring it to a nice stop with two fingers. Feels a bit spongy though, but that may just be me getting used to the difference.

I also prefer it a bit softer. Less chance of locking it up if an emergency "grab everything" pops up. :wink:

4. Robert

Robert Active Member

Goon, you might find a swap to braided stainless steel lines and an upgrade to DOT 4 brake fluid will get rid of almost all of the "spongies".