1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

DIY instructions for valve seal & ring / top end rebuild - 81 XJ550

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by MJCXJ550, Jun 19, 2018.

1. MJCXJ550

MJCXJ550 New Member

Could someone point me to instructions or video on tearing down the top end to replace valve seals and rings?

2. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

Have you done either of those jobs before, on any engine?

I ask because there are some special tools that you will need in order to do the jobs properly.

3. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

I found your thread about oil useage.
    81-xj550-maxim-white-blue-smoke-out-of-pipes.118010

Your last set of compression numbers were good, so I would be very hesitant to recommend that you hone the cylinders and put in new rings.
    The valve guide seals are more likely the cause.

4. MJCXJ550

MJCXJ550 New Member

Thanks for the heads up on just doing the valve seals. Know of any info on here or other internet links that show how to replace the valve seals and other things to do while it’s apart? I don’t have any special tools for removing the retainer clips so if you could point me in the right direction for that. Thanks

5. jayrodoh

jayrodoh YimYam Premium Member

Removing the keepers is fairly easy, I used the following trick where you stuff a rag under the head in the combustion chamber, put a socket on the spring retainer and strike it smartly with a hammer. This is with the head off the engine. I've heard of people doing it on the bike but I have no experience with that.

You will need a valve spring compressor to replace the springs and keepers. You can find them on eBay and Amazon or you can buy from chacal on this site and know you are getting the right one. While the valves are out it's a good time to clean them up and lap them.

6. chacal

chacal Moderator Moderator Supporting Vendor Premium Member

Jay, that technique (in the video) is quite creative, but I wonder what an errant or off-center blow to the socket might do to the lifter bores?

7. Simmy

Simmy Well-Known Member

I've gotten the keepers out using a socket and a large c-clamp, a little more controlled than the vid.
    As k-Moe alluded, you'll need a valve spring compressor to get it back together.
    Or you could use a c-clamp and a socket with 2 sides ground away, essentially a valve spring compressor LOL.

8. Minimutly

Minimutly Well-Known Member

The smack the retainer with a hammer works, but is prone to marking the valve stems, I only do it if the valves are going in the bin (taking comments about the lifter bores into consideration also).

9. jayrodoh

jayrodoh YimYam Premium Member

Those are all good points on the hammer method. I shall probably refrain from that in the future. First time valve job and didn't have a compressor yet.

10. MJCXJ550

MJCXJ550 New Member

Thanks for the info !

11. a100man

a100man Well-Known Member

It's a hateful job without a bench-top compressor - getting the keeper back in is worse pita too. Bon chance.