1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Drum brake casing grinds on rim XJ550 1982

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by fessus, Apr 30, 2020.

1. fessus

fessus New Member

It is hard to stay focused and actually notice things sometimes. I stand corrected, part 34 is missing! And I did not realise it before, by just looking at it assembled.
    I noticed when I reassembled according to this guide https://www.xjbikes.com/forums/threads/rear-wheel-bearing-replacement-how-to-w-pics.35134/ that the inner-collar(part 16) hade been turned the other way around!?! It was sticking out on the left side which made med thick that it was part 34... A creative solution for not having all the parts I guess. But just to make sure I included photos of my assembly of the bearing and inner collar in the sprocket/hub side to make sure I did it correct?

IMG_5165.JPG IMG_5164.JPG

I might contact this guy sooner than I thought....

Once I get everything correctly assembled, with all the correct parts, I will consider this if my problems are still there...

Last edited: May 11, 2020
  2. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

thats where it goes

fessus likes this.
  3. fessus

fessus New Member

Hi all!

The slowest mechanic in the world is back...
    I just wanted to let you know that everything worked out fine and I want to thank everyone for their help.

That's the guy that solved the missing part, since it was not available from Yamaha anymore. Thanks again a100man for the tip!

So all in all a PO had lost two parts and flipped one the wrong way around. Not good.

Now I just need to find some proper gear so I can commute to work!

XJ550H likes this.
  4. a100man

a100man Well-Known Member

Cool. I came across him searching for a KL250 video after my brother bought one of those and was having issues. I like his approached and watched more stuff. Did you meet him?

5. fessus

fessus New Member

Nope, did not meet him, just emails.
    I explained which part and he sent a picture of for confirmation and I had it in the mail two days later! Really fast!

They are located a little to far away for going there for this. But could be fun to visit if I'm ever close.