1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Dynatek DC1-2 Mini Coils

Discussion in 'XJ Modifications' started by 82yamabob, Jan 26, 2015.

?

Will these coils work for a 1982 XJ650?

1. Yes

2 vote(s)
    50.0%
  2. No

1 vote(s)
    25.0%
  3. Maybe.......?

1 vote(s)
    25.0%
  1. 82yamabob

82yamabob Member

Bike: 1982 xj650

Haven't seen much out there for these little guys. Just wondering if anyone has tried these out or not. I'm in the market for upgraded ignition (both of mine were trash) and I thought that these would be easier to mount than the green ones that I've seen a on a number of bikes on here. Specs are 3 ohm primary, 11.5k ohm secondary, so if I switch to resistor plugs I should be golden, right? Picture below.

Someone please correct me before I make a potentially incorrect purchase.

Thanks.

[​IMG]

2. Polock

Polock Well-Known Member

if they fit they should work

3. trgrhappy

trgrhappy Member

and with a bit of "alternative engineering" and "percussive maintenance" they can be made to fit...... hehehe ;)

4. 82yamabob

82yamabob Member

Yeah. I own several sizes of impact influencers, but I'm more of a cut/grind/weld kind of guy.

5. xHondaHack

xHondaHack Active Member Premium Member

They should work no problem for you. I put them on both my X models and it took very little fabrication to mount them up to the stock hangar. Your's will take a slightly different mounting configuration, but shouldn't be that difficult.

Make sure you install resistor plugs and then run high quality 7 or 8mm wires with zero ohm caps.

I should note that I did a bit of experimenting and they will spark at a quality plug at a .100+ gap. But after running them installed, and testing at .035, .048, and .056 gap (stock coils have a .028 gap), I've settled on .048 for the X. With properly tuned carbs they allow it to rev cleanly past 10,500 rpms. Not that I recommend spinning your engine that fast, but it's nice to know there's no misfiring that may cause engine damage from an intermittent spark.

After 2500 miles or so on the first set that I put on the 700X, and almost 10K on the set that's currently on my 750X, I'm very happy with the performance, reasonable price, and how they are not as bulky as the older model green coils.

Tony

6. Kennyhartman

Kennyhartman Member

I am running them on my xj700. Had to turn them and run a pin under the frame instead of bolt them in the bottom hanger. The top hanger just required a spacer for clearance.

7. xxxKuTxxx

xxxKuTxxx Member

Do you have the pictures of what you had to do to mount them? I am considering these as well for my X

8. xxxKuTxxx

xxxKuTxxx Member

By the way, why run resistor plugs? Aren't they just for radio noise cancelling?

9. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

resistor plugs or resistor sparkplug caps. without it may interfer with tci. plus the resister lengthens the spark time/duration

10. xxxKuTxxx

xxxKuTxxx Member

I see. Will XJ900 S DIVERSION 1995-2004 NGK or 1984-1993 YAMAHA FJ1100 FJ 1100 caps with resistor fit? OEM's for X cost too much to consider them

11. xHondaHack

xHondaHack Active Member Premium Member

Sorry no picture of the coils mounted.

The mini coils, as pictured above, will fit on the Maxim X coil/horn bracket. However, you'll need to modify the bracket mounting holes so it can sit lower for added clearance. Of course, you'll have to splice in the wiring to each coil, and the 3ohm resistance on them is compatible with the Yamaha TCI.

The 7mm wires you'll need are standard automotive type (8mm won't fit in where it screws in the cap). Just make sure you use high quality ones and cut them to length.

You'll need to use the stock caps to get the full reach because the plugs are deep into the head. They have 5K ohm resistors in them, but sometimes way over when you check them because of internal corrosion or faulty resistors. You can substitute a small section of brass rod to take the place of the resistor, then use resistor plugs in place of the non-resistor plugs they originally came with.

Check this out for more details on the plug cap conversion:

Hope that helps?

Tony

Last edited: Feb 16, 2020
  12. chacal

chacal Moderator Moderator Supporting Vendor Premium Member

You will still need to modify the stock coil mounting bracket, even when using the small Dyna coils. In fact, you'll have to cut up the bracket a bit to get that tall centerline "ridge" to fit into the bracket...….we have an already-modified bracket available for use when using these coils on the X models, it makes for a very nice and professional installation.

13. Toomanybikes

Toomanybikes Well-Known Member

Here is the word from Larry at dynatek.

Attached Files:

14. xxxKuTxxx

xxxKuTxxx Member

Thanks for the info. Apparently, mini coils do work. "Standard" dyna coils have the same design as OEMs. I ride in winter, and that's what happens when salt gets to them... I've seen sparks from cracks hitting my bike's frame lol. Mini series are closed

Attached Files:

15. xxxKuTxxx

xxxKuTxxx Member

Well... I use spray protection for electronics but it does not last long

Attached Files:

16. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

it is a bandage the rubber breaks down and allows the votage to leak through small cracks in the insulation.