1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

e.u. breakdown cover

Discussion in 'Hangout Lounge' started by bensalf, Jan 18, 2018.

1. bensalf

bensalf Well-Known Member

hi all, this is a question for u.k. readers really ,
    i have booked a trip with my mates from u.k. to france via the tunnel. I am covered for accident with my bike insurance for 90 days European cover , but I cant get anyone to provide european breakdown cover for a bike older than 15 years, anyone found any cover that's not tied to your bikes accident cover. 2 out of the 8 of us have old yams, carol nash only do it if youre insured with them. my bike insurance doesn't run out till august.
    thanks for any help.
    stu

2. FJ111200

FJ111200 Active Member

Can you take out insurance with Carole Nash just before you go, pay the first installment or not and then cancel the policy when you get back? 30 day cooling off period or whatever it may be. 14 perhaps.
    I've just got a quote from these > https://www.eta.co.uk/breakdown/motorbike-breakdown-recovery/ Single Trip European Breakdown recovery for £67.61p. Bike is XS1100 W-reg, 1980.
    Sounds like a lot until you work out how much it would cost if you weren't covered.

3. bensalf

thanks fj111200,
    I just tried to get a quote using the above link you posted, and it just flashes in red (we are unable to provide cover for vehicles over 20 years old)----- wtf.
    any way tried AA, £52.65, RAC £55.31
    hmmmm. seems a lot for 5 days cover, but if theres no alternative------?

4. FJ111200

FJ111200 Active Member

Yes, I think you're right. I just had a look at the policy wording. They'll take your money alright and fook you if you have to make a claim.
    Typical insurance company, a licence to print money.
    Thing is though, when did you last break down anywhere for that matter? Take a few essential spares just for the trip just in case. Coils, CDI, clutch and throttle cables,
    I've been to the XS1100 International rally in Europe a few times and never taken out breakdown recovery.

5. cgutz

cgutz Well-Known Member

Is "breakdown insurance" something required in Europe? What exactly does it cover?

6. bensalf

no its not a requirement, but if I breakdown I have to get the bike back to the uk side of the water ,to enable my current uk breakdown cover to take over.
    the English channel is the most expensive piece of water in the world to cross, per mile, so quite a risk not to have cover.
    ------------------------------------------------------
    What exactly does it cover?
    --------------------------------------------------------
    that's just it.. they will sent a mechanic to try to fix the problem, or take the bike to a local garage to be "fixed", but whats the chance of them obtaining a coil or a tci, I rebuilt this bike myself and I believe I know more about it than any mechanic, so really its just the repatriation bit I need.
    stu

Last edited: Jan 18, 2018
  7. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

Intrnational breakdown coverage is hard to get in the U.S. too, and pretty much nonexistant for old machines. My standyby policy is a good set of tools and a credit card.