1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Edmonton Alberta.

Discussion in 'Western US and Canada' started by brslk, Nov 2, 2011.

1. brslk

brslk New Member

Any XJ550 owners in the Edmonton area?
    I recently bought a 1982 Seca 550 non running and it's kicking my ass trying to get it running.
    It came without an ignition switch (it isn't stolen but somebody did try to steal it).
    My knowledge of electrical systems is nil.
    The bike is in otherwise good shape and I'd like to get it on the road.

I don't have a lot of cash but I would be willing to pay for your time and there is always beer in the garage fridge!

So, If anyone in the area would be willing to help me out I would greatly appreciate it.

2. Hankster60

Hankster60 New Member

Good luck with that one. I just bought a 1985 XJ 700 MAXIM X (american version). I am just starting on it and live in Trochu, AB. Any other Albertans on here?

3. Bleaches

Bleaches Member

Calgary here !

4. mvmanish

mvmanish New Member

Got a XJ650 1981 in Edmonton. It runs good except for starting issues when cold. Probably need to open and clean carbs.

5. Reedolavoie

Reedolavoie New Member

ahhhh yea!

Im downtown Edmonton. Just bought a 1982 xj750 Maxim, starting to get it all tuned up and ready for some summer trips, cant wait

6. deckermanon

deckermanon New Member

hi guys im in edmonton also ,if anyone needs any help on their bikes give me an email and will gladly help you out , i am an automotive mechanic and also an old hand at yamaha bikes ,and dont mind working on older bikes as the dealers dont even look at them anymore . but i need help also i only have my knowledge test and of course my class 5 but need some one in south side to ride with to get practice for my road test , i rode bike for many years but was motocross ,so gettn use to the road now lol also looking for old xj bikes to restore and part out im looking to start the only indoor motorcycle recycle yard in edmonton ,and need as much inventory as i can find guys help me out please lol

7. Maxim-X

Maxim-X Well-Known Member

Prime example of who may be living nearby and able to lend a helping hand!
    Good idea to put location in sig, doesn't have to be your whole mailing address, but city is good enough.

+1 for deckermanon

8. Greatscott

Greatscott Member

I'm in edmonton, and I have an 81 XJ550RH seca. I don't know if you're still around, but either you sold me that bike and now I have this ignition problem (solenoid from my guess). If not, let's bash our brains together trying to figure it out!

9. deckermanon

deckermanon New Member

hi there thanks ,and always willing to help out when i can .great scott i wouldnt be the guy that sold a seca thats for sure lol i have been looking for one for awhile to buy ,but maybe can help you out ,need to know if there is any spark ,if not just disconnect ignition switch and jump wire from brown wire to red wire ,and that should make the neutral light come on ,if not then you have a fuse blown or dead battery , or possibly bad ground ,run a wire from battery negative to a known good ground spot on frame ,try that ,and also make sure you have 12 volts at the coil + and a good ground at coil -,if all this fails message me and will gladly come by and see whats up ,i got a manual here so i have all wiring diagrams if needed ,

10. deckermanon

deckermanon New Member

hi if anyone in edmonton got an old yamaha street bike doesnt matter what size or type ,im just looking to give them a good home ,im into restoring these old beasts and need some donors for my projects ,must be cheap or free ,will take anything lol i just need parts and more parts ,message me if you have anything you looking to get rid of ,thanks

11. Maxim-X

Maxim-X Well-Known Member

Hey deck, have you started your business up yet?
    Post some pics of your inventory or shop or whatever so we can get an idea of the scope of your plans.

12. deckermanon

deckermanon New Member

still working on gettn more inventory not really enough to post up yet but bustn my butt try to get ready for summer lol ,hopefully will be open in june or july will keep you posted on progress ,thanks

13. deckermanon

deckermanon New Member

picked up 2 xs 400s 2f today will make one out of two ,nice bikes and getting hoefully 3 xs 850 this weekend and an 1980 mindight special all will be for sale here in edmonton by next have to check them over and tune them up first and of course a good polish on the chrome will make these classics like new looking so if anyone is interested in a bike text me will give you a good deal on a bike ,have a good day people !!!!!!!!

14. need2speed3

need2speed3 Member

Once this da*m rain stops, we should have an Edmonton Seca run!

Attached Files:

15. deckermanon

deckermanon New Member

a seca run would be cool i bought an 82 seca 400 last week just cleaning her all up and cleaning out the carbs ,dont want to sell her but i bought to restore and sell ,also repainting tank and all the panels , will be an awesome bike when im finished next week ,will post some pics

16. Darth_Menace

Darth_Menace Member

I own a 81 xj650 in st albert just north of edmonton. Anyone want a cash job to propely adjust my clutch? I haven't been able to successfully do it, and I'm angry at ut

17. need2speed3

need2speed3 Member

Darth, do you have the Haynes Manual? Is it your clutch cable or the clutch assembly causing you grief?

18. Darth_Menace

Darth_Menace Member

NEed2speed3...I honestly am at wits end with this. I have had people on this forum helping me non-stop with my clutch issue, but I still cannot solve it myself. Sounds stupid but its true.

I just started the bike two weeks ago, got my provincial inspection done, and when I was driving back I could not shift properly. I thought it was a clutch adjustment (it was actually the spring that attaches to the shift petal) so I tried to fix it...making it worse than it wad before. I just got everytjing back together today, so I was rejoicing. The bike has dirty carbs (I could tell this when riding it a couple weeks ago), so I was having trouble starting it. Suddenly it won't go into neutral anymore so I can't even work on the starting issue. I'd love to have my clutch set up properly, and possibly my carbs cleaned if it doesn't cost too much. I do have a haynes manual, but oddly I cannot do the clutch cable adjustment properly either way

19. need2speed3

need2speed3 Member

I can't help you with this problem but try Motorcycle Medic (780) 483-1292, located at 16838-110 St. They rescued me from problems with my carbs! Keep us informed how it goes. Is your bike silver also?

20. Darth_Menace

Darth_Menace Member

thanks, i just sent a message to deckermanon as well