1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Edmonton and Area XJ owners

Discussion in 'Western US and Canada' started by veedub88, Apr 18, 2008.

1. veedub88

veedub88 Member

I just got tired of looking under the Calgary headline everytime to see if any Edmontonians have signed up.
    Anybody in the Edmonton area interested in a ride sometime in mid May?

2. argh1961

argh1961 Member

As per the PMs, if all the stars align, I'm in!

3. RangerG

RangerG Member

Pick me! I'm not in Edmonton, but I'm planning to ride a loop into Alberta. I plan on stops in Mundare, Andrew, St. Paul and Glendon. I need some pictures of XJ's and various "World's Largest" monuments. See attached link. This should be about a 500 km ride. We could meet in Mundare and go from there. If you want to go west, then I'm out.

http://xjbikes.com/Forums/viewtopic/t=6 ... hread.html

4. argh1961

argh1961 Member

Ranger, do you think we should try and hit all these hot spots in one trip? It might just be too overwhelming for such a short time! :)

J/k, this sounds like it would be a great day! As stated earlier, if all goes well, I'm in!

5. veedub88

veedub88 Member

Great news everyone! On the weather channel this morning they said only 5cm more for the Edmonton area. Yipppeeee.

winter is killing my fun.

6. argh1961

argh1961 Member

Man, did I ever pick a great time to head to California. I almost had to put a sweater on last night. :)

7. RangerG

RangerG Member

Weather forecast for the May long weekend looks good. Anyone want to meet for a ride? I might be attempting the "My XJ and the Worlds Largest" loop, or maybe just hitting a couple spots for now. Let me know who's interested. I have Sat, Sun and Mon off.

8. argh1961

argh1961 Member

Dang. I'm on call this weekend for a major network/system upgrade. I won't be straying far from home. Let me know if you change the date for the loop. I would be interested, but this weekend sucks.

9. RangerG

RangerG Member

July 26th! That's the day I'm heading out on the ride. argh1961 has expressed an interest in meeting me and riding together. Are there any other riders from AB or NW SK that want to join us? The 27th is an alternate day in case of poor weather.

10. veedub88

veedub88 Member

You can count me and argh1961 in for the haul. Hopefully we can get some more people interested.

11. beejer

beejer New Member

Anyone up for an afternoon or evening run out to Pigeon Lake or ...?

12. 650boy

650boy Member

Hey edmontonian!!

here still tryin to fix my 80 650 maxim (electrical issues) any one got parts ?

13. RangerG

RangerG Member

Sunday the 19th of July, anyone interested in meeting in Stettler, AB for lunch? About 1/2 way between Edmonton and Calgary, and gets us off Hwy #2 (which I hate).

14. argh1961

argh1961 Member

Hey Rob,

The weekend of the 19th is no good, I'm on call. About the only day in July I have would be Sat. July 25. If you wait until August, let me know. I'm on call for a week sometime in August, not sure which yet.

Cheers,
    Randy

15. argh1961

argh1961 Member

Hey beejer,

Sounds like a possibility. Let me know when you are thinking ...

Cheers!
    Randy

16. plansea

plansea Member

Better check your pipes, Edmonton XJ'ers!

Edmonton is one step closer to turning in motorcycle riders whose bikes are too loud.

A city committee voted Thursday to make it illegal for a motorcycle to be louder than 92 decibels while idling and 96 decibels while in motion.

Riders with louder bikes face a fine of $250, once city council approves the change later this month.

Edmonton police have already purchased eight sound meters, Edmonton Insp. Brian Lobay told CBC News. Officers are expected to start enforcing the change in July on Whyte Avenue, Jasper Avenue and Groat Road, he said.

"The instrument is placed at a certain distance behind the exhaust and it gives you a digital readout on your decibel level…you either pass or you fail," Lobay said.

According to the police, 150 motorcycles across Canada were tested when developing the bylaw.

Seventeen per cent failed the sound meter test, all of them had modified stock pipes. Motorcycles with regular pipes passed.

Luc Fournier, director of policy for the Motorcycle and Moped Industry Council, said he fully supports Edmonton's proposal. The agency represents major motorcycle distributors across Canada.

"With all the testing that we've done — I mean it's so easy to perform, takes less than a minute to complete and everybody gets treated the same way and there's no ambiguity either about it," Fournier said.

"Edmonton is the first to move forward on this, but many other jurisdictions will be doing the same thing very shortly I'm sure."

Read more: http://www.cbc.ca/canada/edmonton/story ... z0ppxNnEWu

17. RangerG

RangerG Member

I could be in trouble when I ride to Edmonton. The Seca has a Yoshimura pipe on it and it's loud! It isn't "hurt your ears loud" like some of the straight piped Harleys though. Maybe I'll have to yank the baffle out and pack some silencing material in it. I don't recall it being packed with anything even when new. Might have to get access to a DB meter and see where I stand.

18. plansea

plansea Member

Let me know how you do packing your Yoshimura. My 650 Seca is a great car alarm tester and if I wind it out to the red line in town it is LOUD.