1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Edmonton XJ Owners

Discussion in 'Western US and Canada' started by TrevorZ, Aug 30, 2014.

1. TrevorZ

TrevorZ New Member

Hi all I see that there are some old threads for Edmonton riders but nothing that has been updated for quite a while. I am looking for anyone in the Edmonton area who my be able to help with me with some of mechanical issues with 81 XJ750 SECA. I am not the mechanically inclined but would like to learn. Let me know!!

Trevor

2. FlyingSkull

FlyingSkull New Member

HEY Trevor I might be able to lend a hand. I am also local so what seems to be the problem?

3. MattiThundrrr

MattiThundrrr Not a guru

Hey, Flying Skull... just a little pointer. If you click on a poster's name, a window will come up with their info. Trevor hasn't been on the site since Sept. of last year. You may not get through to him. Some folks just don't stick around. Awesome that you're willing to lend a hand, though. Wanna fly to Ontario and clean my carbs? lol

XJSixfifty likes this.
  4. RollinHeavyD

RollinHeavyD New Member

Im located in the depths of Mill Woods. I am pretty handy but there isnt enough time for all the projects in my life.

5. FlyingSkull

FlyingSkull New Member

Hello Rollinheaveyd, welcome to the forum, I am not far from you as I am just over by Ellerslie school.

6. RollinHeavyD

RollinHeavyD New Member

Well if I can get either of my bikes working we should meet up and go for a rip.

7. Jiggs the Geezer

Jiggs the Geezer New Member

It Jiggs, I'm in the country southeast of Edmonton, but when I "go to town" its to Edmonton. My XJ750 midnite maxim is ugly hard to start, floods easily, and once flooded I have to take the plugs all out and heat/dry them up with a mini-torch and put them back in, then it will start and burble and burp for a bit then once it warms up it seems to run pretty decent. At least decent enough to leave a 750 shadow seriously in the dust... I'm going to replace the plugs again, any recommendations other than NGK BP7ES? Thanks, Jiggs.

8. chacal

chacal Moderator Moderator Supporting Vendor Premium Member

Might be time for a carb rebuild.........!!

9. need2speed3

need2speed3 Member

Spring has arrived in Edmonton. The birds are frisky and the Harleys are making noise on Whyte Ave.

10. AxeMatt

AxeMatt New Member

Need the alley to melt! I've yet to enjoy my new bike. IMAG2431_1.jpg

RangerG and need2speed3 like this.
  11. need2speed3

need2speed3 Member

Sweet, that looks like new! What is the mileage? I fitted a chrome front fender to my 650 Seca for the classic look, having admired the 550.

12. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

Nice touch with the fender

13. AxeMatt

AxeMatt New Member

It's got a bit over 50,000 kms. I don't know who did the restoration a few years back but I'd buy a beer for sure...it's almost mint

14. Jiggs the Geezer

Jiggs the Geezer New Member

Its Jiggs again, my XJ750 midnite maxim is still starting very very hard. Local dealer says intake valves may be out of adjustment, clearances tightened up and valves slightly open, causing low compression, improper vacuum, and thus difficult starting. Estimate for bucket-shim valve adjustment is 4-6 hrs or $600-$900. Ouch. I'm a relative rookie on fixing motorcycles, I've swapped engines on Subaru and VW cars. If I have a shim assortment kit, would valve adjustment be beyond a reasonbly competent wrench monkey? Or are there other less complicated possible causes of hard-starting I should eliminate/fix first? Carbs like these are something of a mystery to me, I've never had them apart, maybe its time...

Any advice welcome.

Thanks, Jiggs.

15. FrostyDog

FrostyDog Member

Hey if I were to bring my maxim up would anyone mind giving me a hand on an odd weekend getting her to run and start properly? And as a side note, if anyone needs parts for a seca or maxim there's a great shop in the north for used parts.

16. FrostyDog

FrostyDog Member

It's not too bad to do. If you want I can give you a hand with it. I should be free most nights now that class is done

17. need2speed3

need2speed3 Member

OK, anyone up for a GTG at Hawrelak Park? Summer is calling...

18. Perky

Perky New Member

If I could get my bike to start I'd be al over that but it looks like a summer of greasing around for me trying to get my 84 xj11 00 up and running

need2speed3 likes this.
  19. FrostyDog

FrostyDog Member

I know the feeling all too well. My 550 has been laid up in a friends garage for a couple months now. No clue what the bloody issue is with it. Replaced the old fuse box and now the thing MIGHT start.

need2speed3 likes this.
  20. Perky

Perky New Member

Well good luck I wish ya the best lol I just bought mine and it didnt start when I bought it so I really have no clue what the issue will be I barley know where to start lol