1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Electrical challenges.

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by Chester, Mar 18, 2015.

1. PilotSmack

PilotSmack Active Member

Regarding your tail and brake lights, they use a 1157 bulb, which is dual power. When the ignition is ON or in PARK, they turn onto low wattage. When either brake switch is depressed, the high wattage part kicks in, giving you full light. However, with enough corrosion, the ground connectors on the sockets can fail, so the blue wire (running lights) grounds to yellow (brake light), making it seem like the brake lights won't come on. Happened on my bike, a buddy's 550, and another 750.

To troubleshoot, disconnect the brake switches. The light should stay on, but on low power. If they get brighter when the switches are connected, the switch is sending an on message. Adjust it, or replace it.

2. Chester

Chester New Member

Thank you pilotsmack! Since replacing the fuse box. I have an additional miracle. The brake light works when the front brake lever is pulled! Still no brake light when the foot brake is applied. I will use your suggestion and report in. Have a nice Sunday.

3. Joris

Joris Member

For the raar brake light:
    There is a spring between the axle of the brake pedal and the actual switch.
    The spring will stretch and the brake lights will not come on when you push the pedal.
    To adjust you can screw the switch up. (I mean rotate the switch and it will move upward in a threaded mount.)

4. Chester

Chester New Member

Thank you Joris. Tomorrow night I have a few minutes. I will check the status of the switch height.

5. chacal

chacal Moderator Moderator Supporting Vendor Premium Member

Off-topic, but..............Joris, what is that in your avatar picture?

6. Joris

Joris Member

It is the other old thing that consumes a lot of my free time, but also a lot of fun:)
    Actually it is a train built in 1938 and I am part of the group that want to get it back on the rails.

Stumplifter likes this.
  7. Skwerly

Skwerly Member

Neat!

8. Chester

Chester New Member

Chacal, I tore apart my turn signal switch. I went slow and careful. There are many small parts. I did get a wink or two from the RH blinkers! I dug to the bottom of the switch and found all three solder joints on the slide plate had come loose. Lame. How do I repair this? Would you have a replacement after market switch. Wires 20150330_221758.jpg 20150330_220857.jpg

9. chacal

Yep, that happens and unfortunately, no replacement switch component pieces are available (only the entire control switch unit). About the only other option is to try and find a cheap used unit on eBay, etc. and try to cannibalize the slider contact assy (and hope it didn't / doesn't suffer the same fate as yours). Or find someone who is REALLY skilled at soldering.

10. Chester

Chester New Member

I do have a pal who repairs sprinkler timers and commercial Christmas lights. He would be my first choice on a REALLY skilled solder person. Thanks for chiming in!

11. Chester

Chester New Member

My soldering expert was able to reattach the three wires to the switch slide plate. It took us two tries. The angle of the wires have to be just so. Its a tight fit. I finished cleaning inside the housing, was satisfied that the solder repair would hold and put the switch back together. Lo and behold I had right blinkers!! YES! The left blinker on the front came on but...no flash and nothing on the rear. Darn I did not want to take the switch apart again. I disassembled the rear blinker. Found a red washer and the brass end of a wire laying in the assembly. The center wire inside the bulb socket had lost the brass end plug. I was able to solder the broken end back on the wire and had slid the washer on the wire prior to soldering. This allows the center of the bulb to receive power or it goes to ground. returned all the parts to proper order and we have left blinkers!! I followed the advice of someone in the forum and the rear brake switch not operating. Shortening the spring and adjusting the nut did the trick. We now have ALL electrical lights and switches working! Whew. Thanks again to all suggestions. I think new diaphragms and intake boots are next. Then tires. Strip the tank, front fender, and rear plastic wrap thing (which is the ugliest part of the bike) Drag bars?

Attached Files:

12. chacal

Cleaned up the inside of the case, too, very nice job!

13. Skwerly

Skwerly Member

WOW, now that is impressive.

14. Chester

Chester New Member

20150425_171715.jpg 20150425_171715.jpg 20150425_171715.jpg So here are a few photos of how we have been able to move along...
    Mockup for future bar choice...notice the stripped tank. I kinda like the bare metal look
    Chose a straighter bar with a small rise and a small pull back. I think its the look I wanted! I set the old bars as a before/after look.
    Notice the rear plastic fender that used to drop down. I hated the look so I cut it off. I still do not like the rear tail.stop light. Will be looking for replacements. Also do not like the HUGE turn signals. Will be searching for replacements. Chacal please chime in on replacements. Also am trying my hand on re-sizing and re-shaping the front fender. So far so good. I did purchase new diaphragms from JPM. They were not a fan of the ones I ordered but I found some on-line documentation that they would work. Keeping my fingers crossed. I also need to find a new home for the horns.

Attached Files:

15. Skwerly

Skwerly Member

Real nice progress!

16. Chester

Chester New Member

Thanks Skwerly!

17. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

Your back is gonna get wet.

XJ600 turn signals are a direct fit, and are smaller (but not too small; being seen matters).

[​IMG]

18. Chester

Chester New Member

Thank you kmoe. I hate riding in the rain.

19. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

I lived in the PNW for 32 years. Rain is just another form of sunshine.

20. Chester

Chester New Member

Well said