1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Electrical challenges.

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by Chester, Mar 18, 2015.

1. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

what did you do to clean out the turn signal

2. XJ550H

do you just use electrical cleaner to clean the contacts . and or some crocus cloth?

3. Chester

Chester New Member

I disabled all of the small parts from the bottom of the switch housing. I was really really careful not to lose any solder joints. I used a small fiber wire brush on my dremal motor at the slowest speed so as to not damage any of the plastic parts. This same brush was used to clean up any metal electrical or mechanical contact. I used a small amount of carb cleaner to cut through the grime. I used a small amount of marine grease to lubricate the many moving parts of the switch. It's really tedious work but I wanted the interior to be as clean and functional as possible. Are you having trouble with your swicth?

4. XJ550H

the same problem you are having, gotta say if your inside of parts are that clean and polished , you probaly need welding glasses to look at your bike in the bright sun

5. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

Yes. Clean them just as you would ignition points.

Posters above: we are discussing the flasher relay, not the bar controls.

6. Chester

Chester New Member

Well boys and girls, I went as far as I could before parting the the XJ550. I bobbed the back, used the old sprocket for a frame brace. After market mufflers with removable baffles. Smaller turn signals, non-led so I did not have to worry about an LED flasher. I tried to craft my own seat. This was #2. The tape holds it in place while riding. I did get pods despite all of the threads on pods/nopods. It was a good project that I have passon to another owner. XJ Forever was an awesome help in taking me through the process. Thank you!

Attached Files:

7. Toomanybikes

Toomanybikes Well-Known Member

Make sure the new owner hooks us up with the future of the bike

8. Wagy

Wagy Active Member

Anyone there want to give a guess why my 85 700 (air) is not charging ? I did go to threads on wiring, but to be honest, most of it was way over my head. I am seeing many posts about the fuse box, I had the whole wireing harness off for the total resto and didn't see any fuse box, just one in-line glass 30amp coming from the battery ? Just wondering where to start with the quick and easy.

9. XJ550H

10. Wagy

Wagy Active Member

Ty 550H, that is the site i'll be going back to, very technical for me, but did learn a few things on it. Cleaning the brushes is the next try for me, right after making sure the fuse that was in the small black square fuse holder mounted on the back frame rail is making contact. As i was reading that could keep alt. from putting current to the battery, RIGHT ?
    P.S. I hope you took the Hollywood joke in the spirt that i meant it. By no way would ai make light of your accident and really hope you are doing well and heal guick. Sounds like it was a very horrible accident. So keep your chin up ( sorry, there i go again) lol