1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Electrical Issue...?

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by JazzFish, Oct 18, 2019.

1. JazzFish

JazzFish New Member

New Biker here!

Context: Got my licence about a month ago, bought a 1982 XJ650 Maxim on impulse and never regretted it. Great deal and had some aesthetic damage, or so I thought...

Hopped on here to find out what else was wrong with my bike, and so far, I have cleaned out my carbs and replaced my spark plugs. Everything was running super smooth.

A few days ago I dropped my bike. I was parked on a hill and the wind blew it off it's side. My clutch lever broke off and a few other aesthetic damage happened. It was still able to start after being dropped. I tried to jimmy the clutch handle together just enough to get home, but since it was broken I stalled heading home. My bike won't start after this. Everything seems to still work fine. Indicators, brake lights, clutch and gear mechanisms. But I cannot find a break in the circuit!

I've looked on this forum for a while and played with the bike for hours on end today and couldn't find a solution! Is there a safety switch somewhere that may have just bumped...?

Any suggestions would be helpful!

2. lostboy

lostboy Well-Known Member

Check to see if the kill switch got bumped to the off position. Oh yes welcome to the forum.

3. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

wont start as in no response from starter button or it turns over but will not fire up?

your clutch safety switch may have been damaged but that would make it so bike would only start in neutral.

4. JazzFish

JazzFish New Member

Thank you! I was lurking for a while, but finally posted. So much valuable information here! I checked the kill switch and it seems to be fine? I checked the diagram and wiring and it looks like I have everything. Multi meter also says working. However, the relay doesn't respond when I flick the killswitch...I've seen and read that the relay should audibly click when the killswitch is flicked? Is this accurate?

I've checked the cable multiple times, and I think that might be the problem, but even if I try to bypass it, it seems to not even want to start. I also gain no response from the bike being in neutral.

I'll check these points again later today and post back.

5. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

the Starter/Ignition cut-off relay when you power up the bike with the key.

check the ignition fuse in and out. is it still glass?

could be you damaged the sidestand switch. find the sidestand relay and disconnect it

1982-84 Sidestand (kickstand) relay (blue): frame bracket outbound of LH frame tube, just behind the left ignition coil.

Starter/Ignition cut-off relay (no color): behind the turn signal self-canceller. (note: the drawing and the description in the service manual is wrong).

The Ultimate Relay, Switch, Sensor, and Diodes Guide

6. JazzFish

JazzFish New Member

It was the fuse!!!
    Getting a new one right now. Thank you! Everything else seemed to be in order so I was so confused!
    Thanks for the suggestions and help.

XJ550H likes this.