1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Electrical short - ? in starter circuit

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by Ross1bd, Apr 15, 2015.

1. Ross1bd

Ross1bd Member

The poor "83 750 SECA spent the winter outside. Had a cover on it but sat in deep snow until recently.
    I had some extra cash this spring, so I purchased a spin-on oil filter kit and a pair of Dyna coils from Chacal. (Heaps of praise for the folk(s) @ XJ4Ever. They are the best!!).
    I finished with the coils this morning. Clean gas, new battery - turned the key, hit the start button. Nothing. No solenoid click. Checked the fuse box (upgraded when I got the bike, a few years ago). Aha!
    After burning through a few fuses and pulling the wrap off of part of the main harness, where I moved it to install the coils, I'm stumped. Sprayed the main toggle switch and the start button with contact cleaner. Still popping fuses, when I do nothing but turn the key to on.
    Any thoughts as to where I should look next?

2. hogfiddles

hogfiddles XJ-Wizard, Host-Central NY Carb Clinic Moderator Premium Member

Lights, short in headlight bucket, mouse-chewed harness under seat, tail light harness short.......?

3. Rooster53

Rooster53 Well-Known Member Premium Member

Which fuse? Would it happen to be the ignition fuse since you just added the new coils? The ignition fuse not only powers the coils and TCI but is also used for the safety circuit and starter cutoff relay, which will disable the starter solenoid. Seems you could be in a good spot looking at the new coil wiring.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2015
  4. Ross1bd

Ross1bd Member

"Would it happen to be the ignition fuse since you just added the new coils?"
    Nope. I'm my own worst enemy I when try to wrap up a project at dusk. Turns out that the Red/white striped wire from the starter button to the solenoid became pinched under one of the bolts which hold the coils. I can be an idiot, sometimes.
    My main reason for raising this thread, though, is the improvement in starting/ running with the Dyna coils! Had I known, would've swapped 'em out five years ago.
    First start of the year, tiny bit of starting fluid, hit the button. Didn't need the fluid.
    Once again, Chacal is the man!