1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

engine oil temp?

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by bensalf, Sep 8, 2016.

1. bensalf

bensalf Well-Known Member

hi, anyone know what the oil temperature range of a xj engine would be.
    been riding my xj600 today (you may remember my build thread ,here, http://www.xjbikes.com/forums/threads/bensalfs-4-year-caferacer-build.78581/
    I fitted an "acewell " digital dash, along with an oil temperature sensor in the sump plug.
    Tootling around town and on the lanes, everything was fine, so I decided to give it a burn on the motorway.
    I wound it up to 85mph for a few miles--3 or 4 maybe, and the over temp light came on, and it was registering 103 degrees c. ( i'd set the limit at that on the acewell) should I set it higher, or am I running too hot.
    after pulling off motorway temp cooled to 95degrees c.
    thanks for any help.
    stu

2. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

Yamaha checks its motor temp in the screw that is in the oil drain plug. the probe was screwed in to plug. I do not see a temp scale in a factory service manual.
    maybe haynes lists it.

3. jayrodoh

jayrodoh YimYam Premium Member

I was looking into this awhile back and I never found any Yahama XJ specifics. The consensus in searching is that temperature is fine. Use the right oil and you shouldn't have to worry about it. I read many threads were bikes were running around 225F (108C) and was considered normal.

I think the best advice I saw was "Throw the oil temp gauge away. It will give you more worry and headaches than it is worth."

4. Rooster53

Rooster53 Well-Known Member Premium Member

Good advice, but some folks just like knowing what is really going on instead of speculating. That said, even if you know the oil sump temp, it is still not a definitive yes or no as to how the engine is performing.

Conventional oils begin to breakdown at 250 to 275F (121 to 135C). So, it seems if you have a way to monitor, then setting the temp light trip point at approximately 250F (121C) would be appropriate.

There is a nice recent thread on here talking about oil coolers, and it seems to conclude they are a value added addition. However, no one really provides any data to back that up - although you could argue Yamaha did as they were standard issue on some models.

http://www.xjbikes.com/forums/threads/xj650-is-it-a-good-idea-to-fit-an-oil-cooler.99950/

I have meant to join that discussion, as I can't help but wonder if an oil cooler actually reduces oil flow given the design of the adapter that significantly reduces the output hole from the oil pump.

steber likes this.
  5. bensalf

thanks for the replies guys,
    oil sensor is in the sump plug, and bike has oil cooler fitted as standard.
    so I think I will up the setting to around 110 degrees c , and see how it goes
    thanks
    stu

6. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

is the sump plug the oil drain plug?
    I understand we have different terms for the same part sometimes

7. bensalf

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    is the sump plug the oil drain plug?
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    yep that's right. here's a couple of pics
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

XJ550H likes this.