1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Engine swap question

Discussion in 'XJ Modifications' started by to the max, Aug 30, 2021.

1. to the max

to the max Member

Would I easily be able to put an 86 maxim 700 engine in an 82 SECA 650?

2. Simmy

Simmy Well-Known Member

Which 700? There’s an air-cooled and a liquid-cooled.

3. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

yes and there are instructions in the information overload for this
    The Information Overload Hour

XJ700 air-cooled models:

Most of the engine-swap modifications in regards to the XJ650 engines above will apply, and recall that the XJ700 engines are rubber-mounted. However, due to the unique frame style and engine mounting positioning, you will need to use the XJ700 frame mounting brackets and hardware.

Please note that we have not attempted such a swap, and welcome further experience from those who have completed such as transplant for any additional insights.

4. to the max

to the max Member

air cooled. I don’t see an oil cooler on the maxim

5. Simmy

Simmy Well-Known Member

OK this would be a relatively easy swap.
    As @XJ550H mentioned, pay attention to the motor mounts, with the right pieces it will all bolt together.
    Also best to use the 700 carbs, you may need to stretch the rubbers to the airbox to fit.
    Best to use the 700 TCI unit, expect to need to move some wires as the plugs are likely to be a different configuration.
    Not sure how original in appearance you're trying to maintain, you will need an electronic tach.
    The Canadian 650 Seca in red had the exact tach needed but they are becoming hard to source.
    The XV920 non-Virago chain drive is another tach which fits but the redline on the face is wrong and they are even harder to find.
    The LH engine case with shifter shaft is a direct swap between Maxim and Seca.
    There is an oil labyrinth on this piece which will need to be swapped but it's all bolt up without mods.

If you have a pooched 650 and access to a low mileage non-weathered 700 it might be worth the trouble.
    Why are you contemplating this?

Oh yea, the oil cooler components can be transferred over to the Maxim motor, direct bolt up.

6. to the max

to the max Member

The 650 is just slow. I have a maxim 700 with only 10k miles on it. But since I posted this question I found an 83 XJ900 and the guy is going to give me an identical bike to my 82 650 when I buy the 900.

Jetfixer and XJ550H like this.
  7. Simmy

Simmy Well-Known Member

Nice, I really like the idea.Show us pics if you’re successful making the deal. I’d love to see the 900 and the 650.