1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

exhaust retaining nut

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by mrbrown, Aug 2, 2007.

1. mrbrown

mrbrown New Member

So, riding to work today my bike started sounding very funny, and loud. Seems I lost an exhaust retaining nut and the other one had become quite loose....easy problem to fix. EXCEPT that I dont know the size of the nut so I can go get a replacement. Bike shops are closed for the night and I need something to throw on just to get me a little ways on my trip tomorrow. (leaving before any shop would be open)

Any ideas as to the size?

edit: this would help. For an 83 maxim 650

2. tewlman

tewlman Member

I know it takes a 10mm socket to get-r-on but right off hand don't know the thread size.

3. RickCoMatic

RickCoMatic Well-Known Member

Most all of the bikes have the same nut.

M6 X 1.0

A regular Hex Nut will need a washer or two. You can wrench on the long ones that the Factory puts on.

The short ones will get close to the collar without a pair of flats or flat and a locking washer.

4. mrbrown

mrbrown New Member

sweet thanks guys....

anyways, while I was taking a closer look at it just now, I realised that the stud, or bolt or whatever you want to call it coming out from the engine had actually broken just inside the hole....shitty deal. I figure a shop could drill into to it to get it out and replace it, but it still sucks.

Has anybody run into a problem like this before? Any quick fixes? I figure with the one it should be fine for my ride tomorrow, just going for about 4 or 5 hours, stopping every hour or so. I'll be able to keep a pretty close eye on it.

5. RickCoMatic

RickCoMatic Well-Known Member

Shitty Deal ...

The one Saving Grace is also a trap a lot of folks fall into.

The Stud is SOFT Steel. Easily drilled. Also, soft enough for an Easy-Out to get an exceptionally good bite.

The list of XJ-Owners who have broken-off a stud ... drilled it nice ... only to try and bring-out that stuck-real-good-in-there fragment with an Easy-Out ... only to break-off the Easy-Out is Loooong and distinguished.

Drill it until you are about to hit Aluminum. If the Easy-Out won't bring it out-of-there ... use a small-tipped cutting tool (Dremel) and cut a slice out of the remains of that fragment.

Knock the fragment out.
    Peel-out the larger portion and the threads within the Head are saved.

Worst case scenario -- drill it right out and slap a Heli-coil in there.