1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

First 60 degree spring day, time to ride!

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by thefox, Mar 29, 2006.

1. thefox

thefox Member

I just wish my bike didn't look like this...

Attached Files:

2. SnoSheriff

SnoSheriff Site Owner Staff Member Administrator

Nice bike! I'm planning to hit the roads this weekend :p.

3. secaman

secaman Member

try puting a piece of wood

under the forks.

so u won't scratch anything!

4. thefox

thefox Member

Well I got the tires on and went for the first spring ride today. I put the tires on Wednesday night only to find out the rear tire was mounted backwards when I went to attach the brakes Thursday morning. Finally got to the shop this morning to have them switch the rear tire and then got about 40 miles of ride time after lunch.

5. SnoSheriff

SnoSheriff Site Owner Staff Member Administrator

WOW, what kind of shop was this to mount the tire backwards 8O 8O 8O. Kinda scarry to take your bike there... :?

6. Robert

Robert Active Member

Here here! I'd be highly careful of any future dealings with them! Knuckleheads would probably put a coat hanger in a castle nut too (not that it wouldn't work, but it isn't the right way to do it, if you get my point). I've not had too many problems with any bike service anywhere (save a stripped out fairing screw or two). I do all of my maintenance now so I don't have a broad background of experience in that department anyway. The ones I did deal with had very knowledgable staff and crew. I think I'd shop around for a new one Fox.

7. thefox

thefox Member

I don't know, maybe it is just the bike. Last time I brought the bike in to have the shop replace the tire (different shop) and they didn't put the top shock mount nuts on! Good thing I trailered it home that day and then checked it out before I went for a ride. Needless to say neither of these shops are not "my" shop but being 300 miles from home didn't leave me with much of an option this time.

8. Robert

Robert Active Member

Methinks more than a quick onceover when receiving the bike from the service department is in order! Any half-wit would understand given your experiences. Take your time and don't be rushed into signing for the unit until your happy.

9. woot

woot Active Member

<a href="http://maps.google.com/maps?q=44.777479+-
    Always check shop work before leaving!

I had some serious parts loose when I got one of my bikes back from the shop. They were and are usually awesome. They just had one mechanic, who has since been let go, that wasn't doing a very good job.

There was a dangling wire from the front forks, loose parts on the forks and on the footpegs... it was a mess. I spent 40 minutes (With a cast on) in the parking lot going over the bike and wasn't at all amused.

When I had it safe again I let my buddy ride it home - the only other person I've let ride my bikes. ( And he comes in telling me it wouldn't wheelie?!? To this day I'm not sure if he was kidding or not - I had no problems lifting the wheel? ;))