1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

First post(need good news too)

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by guywithbike, Mar 20, 2006.

1. guywithbike

guywithbike New Member

ok.

hello people this is my first post, and i need some help.
    i do belive i have a 1982 XJ750RJ -the vin is-jya15r0d2cad09223.
    and i need to know if a wire harness from a 1980 xs650 special will work on it? and if not could imake it work?

Thank you.

2. SnoSheriff

SnoSheriff Site Owner Staff Member Administrator

Here are the Wire Harness Assembly part numbers pulled out of the Cross Reference:

XJ750RJ 1982 XJ750R Seca: 5G2-82590-50-00
    XS650SG 1980 XS650S: 3G1-82590-51-00
    XS650G 1980 XS650 Special II: 3G0-82590-50-00

It looks like the part numbers are different but I don't know what makes them different and if you can make it work. Maybe someone knows what these prefixes mean :? :?:

The following bikes seem to have the same wiring harness assembly:
    XJ750RH 1981 XJ750R Seca
    XJ750RJ 1982 XJ750R Seca
    XJ750RK 1983 XJ750R Seca

3. Robert

Robert Active Member

Hard to say without the schematics. If you have copies of both, do a little comparing. I don't have access to the XS schizmo in particular. If you need a comparison done, shoot me the pdf files.

4. Joel07

Joel07 Member

I would have to assume that the XS650 wiring harness is quite a bit different being that it's a 2 cylinder rather than 4 cylinder.

5. guywithbike

guywithbike New Member

ok thanks for the replies.

6. guywithbike

guywithbike New Member

ok can someone tell me what year and model will fit.

7. Nick

Nick Member

Sno already gave you the following info:

8. guywithbike

guywithbike New Member

ok sorry late at night when i looked at it.

9. Lawnie

Lawnie New Member

Hi guywithbike,
    I would like to help ya out to get your bike going - Warm weather is coming - Gotta be ready to ride!
    I have a wire harness for a 81-83 Seca XJ750 for sale.
    Send me an email to my regular email address below and we can go from there!
    Lawnie
    EMAIL: roadtoad@bluefrog.com

10. guywithbike

guywithbike New Member

ok i will in a few minutes.
    thanks

11. guywithbike

guywithbike New Member

hello all.

i finally got a wire harness for my xj750j maxim. the wire harness is from a 83 xj750, and it all went together good, but i dont have spark when it cranks but when i push the killswitch it sparks, are there any sensors that would stop it from starting, i have wired the kickstand swicth so its not the problem. and there is a exta relay on the right side of the harness toward the top that clicks the same way the ignition switch does.

thanks.

12. guywithbike

guywithbike New Member

oh and officerXJ the carb shaft seals worked perfect thanks.

13. srinath

srinath Member

I have heard that the first 3 characters of a part number in the yamaha convention is the model that part was first used on. I dunno how accurate that is though. if one small change was made for one particular model, I believe it may have the same everythign else but a different prefix. no idea what that means.
    Cool.
    Srinath.

14. Robert

Robert Active Member

It occures to me that you should verify the function of both your side stand relay and your starting circuit cut-off relay before proceeding. The outline of how to do this is covered on page 245 of the Haynes manual. Note: the side stand switch and neutral switch must both be in the correct position for the relay to function on your model. Good luck.

15. guywithbike

guywithbike New Member

the switch is pushed in (bike is on work stand) and in nuetral. any one know a good way to rewire ignition wires, PO put high watt fog lights on it and melted everything so i cant use old harness for guidence, any way to wire coils to cdi and kill switch?
    thanks.

16. RickCoMatic

RickCoMatic Well-Known Member

You might want to examine (or disconnect for testing purposes) the Neutral & Side Stand Relay. This relay is unlike other standard Yamaha relays. The two poles controling the signal voltage opening and closing the safety circuit, are postitoned differently from the other relays on the bike.

If a standard relay has been used to replace the safety relay ... the circuit is reversed. Pulling the clutch lever normally allows the safety relay to close and the bike may be started with the clutch lever pulled. This becomes OPPOSITE if the relay is the incorrect one.

Having the incorrect relay replacing the safety relay actually allows the start motor to engage WITH THE CLUTCH LEVER RELEASED -- AND THE BIKE -- IN -- GEAR.

An easy test to determine if the wrong relay was used to replace a safety relay is: The bike will need to actually be in Neutral for the Starter to engage and start the engine.

And, the very dangerous situation of the Starter kicking-in ... with the bike IN GEAR -- with the clutch lever RELEASED and the START Button pressed.

The relay is below the fuel tank -- under the center tube of the frame -- closest to the fuel tank bolt-down, just behind the turn signal cancellation module.

17. guywithbike

guywithbike New Member

hey thanks the info, but i have tried everything so i need a wire harness for my specific model, and hope i havent burnt up anything.

18. Robert

Robert Active Member

Sure, new wire and a soldering gun are in order, but it can be done nicely. You may want to source a used harness rather than go through the bother. Looks like your headed the right direction already. I can rebuild an old harness so long as I have a fairly intact harness to begin with. Length and component placement must be a known factor in order to build a decent harness. If you are of a mind, I could wire in your needs rather easily if you want to ship it out here and cover parts.

19. guywithbike

guywithbike New Member

hey thats nice of ya, so u could get the seca harness to work with the maxim? But the maxim harness looks like a lawnmower hit it.

20. Nick

Nick Member

Sorry I'm confused :?
    Have you confirmed your model of bike yet? In your first post it's a seca model "RJ" then later in posting it's a maxim "J".

I couldn't find the vin number in the XJCD vin # listings and from another list of information the closest I could come up with suggests it maybe a 1985 maxim X

XJ700XN 1985 Maxim X 700 JYA1AA US/UK
    XJ700XNC (Ca. only) 1985 Maxim X 700 JYA1FJ00 US/UK

I would confirm which model you have before buying any more wire harnesses.