1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Float needles--rubber tip vs metal tip

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by tabaka45, Nov 28, 2012.

1. tabaka45

tabaka45 Well-Known Member

I ordered float valve assemblies from Chacal and inadvertently ordered the metal tip needles when I meant to order the OEM style rubber tip needles. I think I am going to return them and get the rubber tipped needles. However, I might be convinced to keep the metal tipped ones if anyone has any real good experience with them. My concern is that they will not seal as well as the rubber tipped ones will.

I really would like to have some comments and opinions on this. I'm tired of removing the carbs.

2. hogfiddles

hogfiddles XJ-Wizard, Host-Central NY Carb Clinic Moderator Premium Member

If you polish the inside of the needle jet properly, you'll have no problem. The rubber tips can get sticky, or get an impression of the lip after a long spell of sitting. Then they can stay stuck, or do the opposite.....not seal anymore.

Case in point.....I'm in the middle of a carb rebuild for a fellow and when I pulled the needle valves out, the needles were so stuck that even after a couple days in the soak, I STILL couldn't get the needles out......I finally grabbed the plunger with vise grips and pulled them out.....the rubber tip stayed in the valve. I had to push them out with some musical instrument tools, and it took quite a bit of force the get them to pop. I thought I'd end up punching right through the rubber, but they did end up releasing.

Go with the metal ones. IMNSHO.

Dave Fox

3. PacNorWestHD

PacNorWestHD Member

I had some rubber tip ones that I had in for about 4 months before 2 of them Broke off. I ordered the Metal tip ones also and have 0 problems I'll never look back at rubber ones again.

4. skyhawk

skyhawk Member

I have the metal tipped needles in my 550 for about 18 months now, no problems here. Initially they would occasionally stick when I turned the fuel to prime but after running for a while they settled in nicely. I guess they had to sort of polish themselves into the seat bore. The "Viton" tipped needles have been good in the past... but with the ethanol based fuel the metal may be a wiser choice. Ethanol will eat the older rubber fuel line so I'm not sure how it will react with viton tipped needles. I'd leave yours in, just my 2 cents worth.