1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Flood Protection on site

Discussion in 'Suggestion Box' started by Kilted_to_the_Max(im), Mar 19, 2013.

1. Kilted_to_the_Max(im)

Kilted_to_the_Max(im) Member

Is it really necessary to have flood protection on the site?

When I go to a forum, I click and add to new tabs all the topics I want to read, then go through them at my leisure. With the archaic flood protection, I have to click, wait, click, wait, click, wait...etc.

I assume we have Flood protection enabled to protect from spammers, but it's very much an old school way to do so. Basic rule of UX: Don't make all the users pay a penalty for a few. :)

2. 750E-II_29Rbloke

750E-II_29Rbloke Active Member

It's only ever affected me for the worse once, when I replied to one post & then wrote a short-ish reply to another straight after. Apart from that, it's only stopped me double/triple/quad posting when I click submit again trying to tell my dodgy broadband I want some bandwidth!

3. JPaganel

JPaganel Well-Known Member

I'm not sure what the software package is that runs the board, it looks a little dated to me. It might not be possible to turn this off.

But yeah, this is a goofy feature. Most board don't let you post too fast, not read too fast.

4. 750E-II_29Rbloke

What it affects reading posts too, how? :?

5. JPaganel

JPaganel Well-Known Member

Like Kilted said, if you open threads in new tabs using Ctrl+Left Click or Middle Click, or Right Click and Open in New Tab, and open tabs faster than one in 90 seconds or so , the Flood Protection will kick in even though you are not posting anything.

You get three warnings and then you get auto-banned for an hour or so. I've done that a couple of times before I figured it out.

6. 750E-II_29Rbloke

Ah right I didn't know it was the opening of multiple tabs that caused it, never heard of that before so it didn't occur to me. What a pig of a system :(

If it's an issue for kilted, maybe he should PM sno as sometimes he doesn't see all the forums but think he must get an email notification for PMs as he's replied quickly when I PM'd him...

7. Foolber

Foolber Member

yea i got "banned" for that yesterday it told me LOL!! im like CLICK, CLICK, CLICK, CLICK, CLICKITY!!!!!

8. ColoradoDan

ColoradoDan Active Member

Never happened to me. Lot of the time I look at the recent at the bottom, and open several of them in their own tabs - within seconds.

9. Kilted_to_the_Max(im)

Kilted_to_the_Max(im) Member

I get the flood warning a lot, but haven't gotten the "ban" yet. It just seems really kludgy to me, and, as my day job is Website Developer, I just can't see the point of it.

/technical mode
    Usually there something to limit bots indexing during specific hours, or at all. It's not unusual when you can't control the robots.txt file to have a manual technique for that, but we shouldn't, and aren't, keeping bots away.

http://www.google.com/webmasters/tools/ ... .com&html=
    /end technical mode

They must have another reason for it, but I'll be chaffed if I can come up with it. It may be as simple as "It was there and on by default, never thought to turn it off". Donno, thus I asked the question.