1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

For the Autocross fans out there...

Discussion in 'Hangout Lounge' started by BaldWonder, Jun 29, 2015.

1. BaldWonder

BaldWonder Innocent Bystander

I threw together another video, this time showing what I did over the weekend instead of tooling on my XJ.

jayrodoh and k-moe like this.
  2. Stumplifter

Stumplifter Well-Known Member

Looks fun.
    Wonder what your time would be on an XJ?

3. BaldWonder

Either fortunately or unfortunately, motorcycles are not allowed. There is a LOT of loose gravel, potholes, and cracks underneath all that water. I'd be afraid to do it dry, but I've definitely thought about it.

Go karts are allowed, giving me yet another thing I want to buy someday.

4. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

There are a few Motorcycle Gymkhana clubs in the U.S. It might be worth checking out if there is one near you.

My brother used to Rallycross, until his car aged out (says he. truth is it rusted). Fun stuff, just no budget in this household for it :(

Last edited: Jun 29, 2015
    Toomanybikes and BaldWonder like this.
  5. k-moe

Since you ran in the rain:

He lost time for putting a foot down. This is so popular in Japan that it's difficult to find videos from other countries in the mix.

Stumplifter and BaldWonder like this.
  6. MattiThundrrr

MattiThundrrr Not a guru

So Mr. Adventure Lifestyle, you gonna put the Civic in the showcase? What year, any mods, ect.? Inquiring minds want to know!
    As a father expecting another, I may have to start living vicariously through you. Is that OK?

7. BaldWonder

I wouldn't say I'm Mr. Adventure. Maybe Mr. Too Many Hobbies.

2006 Civic LX, silver, 4-door, 5-speed manual transmission, factory steel wheels, bone stock with OEM replacements and 179500+ miles. To date, the following things have been replaced/serviced:
    • replaced ~170,000 mile transmission with used ~80,000 transmission (Was cheaper than rebuilding the original one just to fix a throwout bearing that I murdered.)
    • new flywheel, clutch ('Cause if you've got the transmission out, it's time to replace them.)
    • new valve cover gasket (Was leaking on the back side.)
    • new serpentine belt
    • replaced rusted out power steering line
    • new iridium plugs
    • new front struts
    • new front rotors, calipers, pads (Calipers were fine, but there was a sweet package deal with the rotors and pads, and the new calipers are painted. I hate rust.)
    • new rear drums, springs, shoes (Drums were also fine, but oh so crusty/rusty.)
    • bled the brake lines
    • flushed radiator
    • new compressor clutch (Original was no longer engaging, and I gotta stay cool!)
    • new tires: Cooper Lifeliner GS all season (Rated for 60-70000 miles - I know, not racing material. This is the second time I've bought that model tire, so yes I recommend them.)
    • ...and of course all other normal maintenance.
    You may be thinking "Man, I'd have just bought another car with all of those repairs!" I did the math - this was the cheaper and far easier route. Plus, I'd rather have a car whose history I know 100% than to get someone else's beater.

8. BaldWonder

[​IMG]

9. Polock

Polock Well-Known Member

do a helmet cam, i want to see what you see. are the cones easier to find in person?
    there's a android app called "torque", you should check out
    that looks like fun

10. BaldWonder

It is awesome. Better than every roller coaster I've ever been on combined - and I grew up near both King's Island and Cedar Point. This was my third time doing it, and even though I'm more used to it now, I still find my hands shaking with adrenaline after each run.

I've been a rider and I've been a driver. The cones are mostly easy to see once you've walked the course and you're the actual driver. It's hard to tell as a first-timer rider. I've learned it also helps to go last in the rotation, that way you can see the tire marks from everyone else. Unless it's wet. There's no marks to follow when it's wet

This was taken with my Windows Phone (only one decent app, "Track Attack," and the login servers for it are busted) while it was in one of those GPS holder suction cup things. I have an old Android, but the camera on it sucks. I want to get a GoPro or two or three eventually, but for now the phone will have to do. I did get a cheapie Vivitar action cam, and it blows. Do not waste your $30.

11. lostboy

lostboy Well-Known Member

I though you are supposed to hit every cone. That's the way I would do it.

BaldWonder likes this.
  12. MattiThundrrr

MattiThundrrr Not a guru

Surprising that you had to do that much work on a Civic that young... Mine have always been pretty maintenance free! I have had several Hondas (Prelude, 2 Civics,) a Mazda6 a couple of Pontiacs and a Subaru as daily drivers. In my experience, you may pay more for parts on the Hondas, but they need way less, so it evens out. I love Honda cars. I hope I will be as happy when I get the Honda bikes I desire (CB750F, Pre 1982 Goldwing, CBX1000...)

13. BaldWonder

I'd say it's mostly due to all the salt in the winter, but you're Canadian - you know. Or is it so bad up there that you guys don't even bother with salting? The struts and the compressor clutch are the oddballs in my mind.

Edit: come to think of it, it could also be that it was the first year of a new style, "8th gen" as they call it.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2015
  14. k-moe

Hold on. Do Civics come that way from Honda? Where's the spoiler!? Where is the huge aluminum wing!?

BaldWonder likes this.
  15. Polock

Polock Well-Known Member

i 've got to ask, what's it cost to get in one of those? i looked at my local track and it's 40$ and they'll rent you a snell 2000 helmet.
    this place is about 10 miles from my house http://www.pittrace.com/events but they took my dirt trails to make it so they can kma

16. BaldWonder

You can do a temporary weekend membership for $40. I believe there's also a Pittsburgh group called PAX (Pittsburgh Auto Cross). Some of the guys at the NEOH event had mentioned competing at both... I think you get points from any SCCA event, so if you did NEOH and PAX, you'd have a higher score than someone faster than you from just one group.

NEOH has loaner helmets on first come first serve basis.

Do it. DO IT!

17. MattiThundrrr

MattiThundrrr Not a guru

I'm kinda mean to my Civics. If they get fresh oil every 6000 kms, they feel lucky. I guess that's why I was surprised at all the maintenance on yours. I buy 'em cheap, and drive 'em till they die, usually sell them for enduro action. The last one was a bit of a hot rod, and the guy that bought it nearly pooped himself when he drove it first time. How is this $500 rust bucket so fast? Damn, I miss that one... As for salt, I still haven't washed the winter crust off my car. In some places, they use sand instead of salt. Leaves little beaches and sandbars on the road in surprising locations. They do it at my work, and there are still dunes in certain areas. Motorbikes DO NOT LIKE SAND!!

18. BaldWonder

Sorry Polock, no helmet cam view yet, but here's the next installation. This time we have my wife with "commentary," and an outside view of the car as I raced. I had to splice a few runs together to make this look nice and cohesive.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2015
  19. Beekman

Beekman XJ Grasshopper

Looks like a lot of fun. I want to try this!

20. Polock

Polock Well-Known Member

can you text while you're doing that? :)