1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Fork Air Assist Nipple size?

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by KrS14, Dec 1, 2012.

1. KrS14

KrS14 Active Member

The last summer i had a hell of a time finding a gas station that i could actually put air in my front forks. The problem was that the zerg/nipple seems to be too short to allow the air attachment to engage and allow air in.

Are the nipples a weird size? Or is there an adapter I should be using?

I never noticed this till this past summer, because the usual free air at the one gas station here always worked fine, until it broke and I had to find another / bought a little bicycle air pump.

Thanx guys!

2. mwhite74

mwhite74 Member

Personally, a bike pump is all I'd ever use with such a low pressure requirement... With those service station compressors you might blow the fork seals out in a hurry o_O. wouldn't be surprised if those air valves were designed so you *couldn't* connect a compressor.

3. MiCarl

MiCarl Active Member

They're a standard Schrader valve. Any tire extension will screw on to them.

I agree with mwhite74 - most compressors will hugely over-inflate them. Hand pump or a compressor regulated to low pressure is the way to go. I've got a little plastic hand pump that is designed for inflating footballs and such that does an excellent job.

4. KrS14

KrS14 Active Member

I've got a little pump, but it won't go far enough over the nipple, to open the center pin.

Odd...

5. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

I've noticed that all of the new hand operated air pumps (and several electric ones) that I've bought in the last two years don't fit well initially. I'm particularly annoyed with the type that clamp to the valve stem; the rubber seal on the chucks tend to be undersized, and won't allow the chuck to depress the valve. As a fix I've used a spare valve and worked the end of it into the chuck several times until it works the way it's supposed to (easy on, tight seal, opens the valve).

6. MiCarl

MiCarl Active Member

The hand pump I have has a screw on end that is quite short. I can't imagine you'd ever get a clamp on one in there if that's what you have.