1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Fork Bushings, 1982 Maxim XJ750J

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by ShotCaller, May 27, 2016.

Tags:
  1. ShotCaller

ShotCaller New Member

Bike has 22k miles in 34 years, but not much maintenance in the 25yrs it's been in the family. When it came to me the forks leaked and I decided to do the seals myself. Buying the damper rod holding tool from XJ4ever was completely worth it. Now the fork tear down has reached the last step before seals and oil -- what to do (if anything) about the fork bushing that sits underneath the fork seal. What say you?
    1. The bushing is stuck -- snug against the lowest possible point it can be seated in the lower fork tube. Can it stay there if I'm "simply" replacing seals and oil?
    2. Condition -- it looks in good shape, cleaned out the lower tube with brake cleaner. The thickness of the soft metal inner ring seems good. Nicks and scratches will be sanded out. What else should I check or review to decide if it needs to be replaced?
    3. Removal -- if this sucker really does need to be removed, any ideas on how to do this without scratching up the aluminium lower tube? I've already scratched the bushing a few times (can sand it out) testing how stuck it is. A YouTube video showed off a cut-off dowel rod / pry tool combination (leverage on the rod inside the tube instead of the tube edge) but that still makes me nervous about scarring up the inner aluminium.
    Thanks for any ideas or confirmations.

2. ShotCaller

ShotCaller New Member

Thank you Mods for the forum move. I ended up sanding off the few burrs from removing the (10yr+?) fork seals and leaving the bushings as they were. Both bushings were snug and the chrome inner tube action was smooth, so I sealed it all up and got back to riding.