1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Fork Caps

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by redcentre003, Mar 30, 2006.

1. redcentre003

redcentre003 Member

Quick question...can anyone tell me what size Hex tool fits into the depression in the front fork caps?

I figure around 17 - 19mm. I'm about to beef up the spring tension in the front fork springs from soggy to less soggy.

thanks y'all.

2. BlueMaxim

BlueMaxim Active Member

Goog guess, it's 19mm! You can use the end of a sparkplug socket to do the job. Just reverse the socket and use it's hex end. A 19 mm wrench will check if it's the right size. You will need about 3 long extensions too! That sucker is down in there.

3. MacMcMacmac

MacMcMacmac Member

The caps are 17mm, I did my springs a few weeks ago. In a pinch, you can use two nuts and jam them together on a 10mm bolt, then use the bolt head as the driver, and turn the jam nuts with a wrench. I happen to have several large metric Allen key sockets from my mechanic days, so it was no problem for me, although the caps were very tight. Those O rings really grab on tight.. This size is for a 650 turbo, but is also the same for a 900 Seca as wel.

4. BlueMaxim

BlueMaxim Active Member

Yep, depending on the bike both of us would be correct , need to know which bike you have.

5. redcentre003

redcentre003 Member

I've got an 1985 XJ900 so I figure the larger 19mm size might be correct.

I've seen the large 19mm hex tools with a half inch drive for les than $10 so it might be a good investment. I'm wanting to put some short spacers under the caps to beef up the springs. My only worry is getting the caps back on against the pressure of the springs + spacers.

cheers.

6. BlueMaxim

BlueMaxim Active Member

Getting those those buggers back on is tough. I would suggest a friend. A big one with strong hands! I laid mine sideways and did it alone but that meant having to put the fork oil in with a syringe. Not my prefered method. The strong buddy holding the stanchion should take care of things.
    Instead of spacers have you thought about installing progressive springs? Many have done this with excellent results. Cost is about $80 USD.

7. Robert

Robert Active Member

And the Progressive Suspension springs are nice, I'm getting a set this year. My buddies who run them still pop spacers in with them. I guess there is a difference. I always just muscled the cap down (with help, any help!) and secured them under load. If your talented and have a shop press (don't you too?) handy, you could go that route but you would have to dismount the strut from the tree and I just don't like going that far. There is also the danger of cocking the spring if the strut slips (and it does happen!), is it worth it?

8. redcentre003

redcentre003 Member

Thanks for all the suggestions. I think some carefully sized up spacers and a large strong friend (OK...it'll cost me a keg of beer, or less if I'm lucky) might be the way to go.

The front suspension is far too soggy these days. Not sure what it was like new but the front reminds me of the suspension in an old Cadillac travelling loungeroom on wheels.

Progressive springs could also be worthwhile and a small spacer may get the best of both worlds out of the front suspension.

Thanks again. Lotsa help.