1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Fork Rebuild Questions

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by waldreps, May 27, 2015.

1. waldreps

waldreps Active Member

I'm finally going to be tackling my fork rebuild on my 82 XJ650 Maxim. I got the rebuild kit from Len over a year ago so I think it's time. I have a few questions though as I'm reading Gamuru's write-up posted on here.
    1. What should I use to clean the outside of the outer fork tube? Mine has dried fork oil and junk all over it. Pretty tough stuff as I've tried brake cleaner on a small part and it didn't do much. Maybe just lots more brake cleaner and a brush?
    2. Is it ok to spray brake cleaner down inside the forks to clean out all the old oil and junk or should I use something else?
    3. What's the best way to remove the old dust seal, clip and oil seal? I don't want to damage anything.
    4. Do I need to use a special tool to install the new oil seal, clip and dust seal? What's the best way to do this?
    5. When I re-install the forks, do I just need to remember where they were in relation to the upper pinch clamp or will they only go back together one way? Is the inner fork tube supposed to be lined up with the top of the upper pinch clamp or what?
    6. I remember somebody saying to add fork oil before putting the spring back in. It seems like it would work better to put the spring in first and then fill with oil. Which way is best and why?
    7. What's the correct fork oil quantity for my forks? 82 XJ650 Maxim with the air assist
    Thanks for the help.

2. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

3. waldreps

waldreps Active Member

Thanks k-moe. Another question. I bought the basic fork rebuild kit from Len. It didn't include new dust seals. The ones currently on my bike look ok but that's just me judging before it's apart. They're rather spendy. Should I replace those or if my old ones seem ok, is it ok to reuse?