1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

fouled #1

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by skills4lou, Sep 21, 2010.

1. skills4lou

skills4lou Member

Bikes been running great above 2k rpms, nice smooth idle....but...
    Still fighting a hiccup from idle to 2k during acceleration.
    Double checked float levels, all good.
    pilot screws before adjustments today:
    Cyl. # Turns
    1 3
    2 2.5
    3 2.25
    4 2.6

#1 was dry black sooty
    #2 was off-white
    #3 was mostly white
    #4 was off-white

Double checked the enrichment circuit actuator forks, all plungers close/open at the same time, and fully close. Stock air filter

Other than the burble/hesitation when starting out at low rpm the bike runs great.
    I adjusted the #1 to 2.5 and #3 to 2.5 and it seems to idle a bit smoother. Didn't get a chance to run it around after the adjustments, so I won't know what the plugs look like until tomorrow afternoon.
    Anything I might be missing here?

2. mlew

mlew Well-Known Member

Did you verify that the enrichment circuit closes? The rubber seal can crack letting fuel in even though the plunger is closed. I check mine by putting a 1/8 silicone tube on the pickup in the bowl and suck on it. You should not be able to draw anything. Since its the #1 cylinder, take the plunger out and look at the rubber washer on the end , is it cracked?
    How about those carb slides, are they free moving? Any holes in the diaphrams?

3. bigfitz52

bigfitz52 Well-Known Member Premium Member

What method did you use for your vacuum sync?

4. skills4lou

skills4lou Member

Carbs clunk, no holes, and synch was done with the OE YICS tool and Morgan carbtune.

Mlew: the rubber washer you are referring to is down inside the passage when assembled, correct? Not the little cover at the top just under the actuating arm/fork....

I'll take it apart and check that again. When I had them apart a couple months ago they all looked fine, as did the seat at the bottom of the bore. Still, it can't hurt to check 'em again.

Rode to work today, and it was running better. That #1 plug is now a much better looking tan color, 2 3 and 4 are still a bit too white for my liking. Probably looking at another 1/16th to 1/8th out on them and I'll have it dialed in.

Of course, now that the this problem seems to be getting better I've noticed a rattle in the exhaust collector that'll need some attention, and the self canceling signal circuit is still intermittent and..... aw heck, you guys know how it is! The joys of old bikes, tinkering is just part of the fun.

5. Lou627

Lou627 Member

Sounds like your on the right track by adjusting the mixtures to the color of the plugs, the problem power band you're dealing with is where you'll get the most noticable effect from your mixture screws.

After doing your 1/2 turn adjustment for the sooty black (#1) and mostly white (#3), monitor your plugs and adjust in less thean quarter turns to get a "drinking on the street paper bag" brown.

Remember with mixture screw adjustment that perfection is found within a degree of rotation!