1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Found a supplier of "cheap" reporduction boots and other things

Discussion in 'Reviews - Service, Online, Retail Shop' started by vashtsdaytona, Jul 15, 2016.

1. vashtsdaytona

vashtsdaytona Active Member

i found this place http://www.scramblercycle.com/

yamaha stuff here
    http://scramblercycle.highwire.com/products/yamaha-motorcycle?pagesize=60

they sell on ebay under scoutkb which is where i orginally saw thier offerings. then noticed in the listing they have a website. History has taught me those who sell on ebay usually sell on thier sites for a few bucks less. and this is the case here as well.

A set of 4 intake boots (manifolds if you like) for $65. these are reporductions. i got my set and have installed. they are the right dimensions and thickness and bolt right up. most importantly for me they are soft rubber. how long they last? IDK but how many reporduction manfactures can thier be? Likely all the same?? not for me to say. only that i bought a set and at this moment are working as intended. for the price i am comfortable with the gamble. only thing i have noticed in the mounting holes the stock ones have a metal sleeve these do not, but you can install/transfer your own if you wish. the site does not sell gaskets FYI.

and if your lucky like me you might ONLY have 3 of the 8 bolts break in the head and have to drill/tap them out. yippy!!

also from the site i bought there set of carb kits. mostly i only wanted the float valve and seat. new bowl gaskets are nice too. again these appear to be the same aftermarket kit everyone sells. good or bad?

note jets are #112, #122 and #43 jets whic is slightly larger than my stock, which i think were 120 and 40. the needle is the correct size, though the mold lines on the plastic head needed some light sanding for free movement. the drain screws are correct and im glad as mine were chewy chewy.

the mixture screw however, is the wrong thread size but i knew that going in. the oring and washer are the correct size, just reuse stock mixture screw.

as for what i can say about those, only wet set floats on bench so far. the float valve works the gasket holds fuel, the slide/needle move freely. who knows maybe i wont run and i put the stock jets back in. but it was 12$ per kt and i got the parts i needed from it at least (the vavle/seat incase you forgot)

shippings was something like $4 USPS and it came priority.

2. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

There are at least two manufacturers of the intake boots, and half a dozen (or more) of carb rebuild kits. I would definately make or transfer the metal bolt spacers, otherwise the intake boot will distort at the base when tightening the fasterners, and you will be more likely to end up with a vacuum leak.

Not all jet manufacturers use the same sizing nomenclature, so unless the jets are branded there is no way to know what the sizes are in comparison to stock without using a wire-set to measure them.

Jetfixer likes this.
  3. chacal

chacal Moderator Moderator Supporting Vendor Premium Member

We no longer offer the reproduction intake manifolds for the XJ650/XJ750 models as we've had too many significant failures with them. They all come from one source (there is only ONE manufacturer of these particular reproduction/aftermarket manifolds) and every one of them that you see being offered for sale.....whether on individual websites, shops, eBay, Amazon, etc.......ALL come from that one source, and ALL of them have quality issues (they are simply not made properly),

We still have the OEM manifolds available.....they are much more expensive than the repro manifolds....but they'll last 20+ years just like the originals did. With these particular repro manifolds, you might only get 20 DAYS use out of them..........

BTW, the above applies ONLY to the XJ650/XJ750 intake manifolds. The aftermarket/reproduction XJ550 and XJ1100 intake manifolds are an oem-equivalent quality product.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2016
    bikerguy, Jetfixer and k-moe like this.