1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Found with flats at boneyard..rode her home for a cnote!

Discussion in 'XJ Modifications' started by remo, Jul 26, 2017.

Tags:
?

CHOP OR STOCK?

1. Chop

2 vote(s)
    16.7%
  2. Keep stock

10 vote(s)
    83.3%
  1. remo

remo Member

Screenshot_2017-07-26-04-41-29.png Bike came complete needed gas, battery, carbs cleaned... (thanks rickomatic) the bible was engrained that part came second nature after we limped 30 miles home on maypops with a lawn and garden battery strapped to the seat. We have been adding to the 22k she came with. Enjoying the luxuries of speedometers, mirrors, front brakes, a front fairing and other bells &whistles often taken for granted. Quite reliably for about a year, allowing my frankenbike 550yics the chance to gather dust. until oneday last week 100 yards out the driveway she just quit. Like something hit the kill switch. Now no spark. Hmm not sure what to do with all the stock wiring...? I guess its time to go over the electrical troubleshooting write up again. I sure hate to take off all the pristine stock parts that have probably never been peeled back and seen the light of day!

2. cgutz

cgutz Well-Known Member

If it just completely died, check your fuse box. Clips may be corroding/crumbling. Happened to my XJ550 and it just died suddenly at an intersection.

Chitwood likes this.
  3. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

Sidestand switch.

XJ550H and Chitwood like this.
  4. Jetfixer

Jetfixer Well-Known Member

Keep stock fewer around:(

5. cruzin

cruzin Active Member

Nice find

6. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

remove your sidestand safety relay to check the sidestand swiitch . clean it anyways.

does bike turnover with no spark?

7. remo

remo Member

Traced the source of the problem down. Was indeed something to do with sidestand relay, however the ignitor was gettin hot and failing to supply a dependable spark. So tell me this :why does the ignitor off of my xj 550 seem to make the bike run better than before? It seems like a 750 ignitor wouldn't work on the 550. If I remember correctly. My ignitor was mis -categorized as a 750 part on ebay but I nabbed it up because I noticed it had the right color label for 550. Are they compatible one way?

8. remo

remo Member

Oh ya thats what I fixed first at the boneyard. It must have been overlooked because when I asked if they had a pair of glasses I could use for the ride home. They looked at me like I had 18 heads ! Classic!

9. MattiThundrrr

MattiThundrrr Not a guru

Imagine the looks if you had done the tinfoil fix!

10. XJ550H

the ignitors will swap and work to start any of the yics bikes . they just will not run correctly. timing issue.
    Iwe had a member with a 550 using a 750 tci bike ran but not well untill he got the correct tci unit.
    iirc the non yics tci ignitors are wired differently at the connectors in the harness and will only work in the non yics bike

what are the numbers on the mis cat tci?

11. remo

remo Member

Also I found something interesting when I went over the wiring. On one of the connectors to the relays, I believe it was the sidestand or starter I noticed three wires were brass blade terminals and one was silver. Same on the relay except the orientation was mismatched ie the silver was getting a brass terminal connected to it. I switched it around not sure if it matters. The miscat tci was a 4-u8 somethin...
    ill snap a shot when I get home.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2017
  12. XJ550H

4u8 is 550 parts