1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Frame Weep Hole

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by ManBot13, Jun 17, 2012.

1. ManBot13

ManBot13 Well-Known Member

I took my Turbo Seca down to the frame, washed, cleaned, wire brushed and treated rusty spots (all surface rust, nothing went through) and painted it. I never saw any evidence of a weep hole in the frame.

I'm reassembling the bike now, and I flipped over the frame to install the center stand (man that spring it a b**ch to install). Anyway, a whole bunch of water (from my washing the frame) poured out of the rear tubes. Now I'm wondering:

Should I drill a weep hole or two at the bottom of the frame? I'm keeping these bikes in an unheated garage in DC, and while the temps don't get that low, it can be below freezing for a few days in a row in the winter. Where would I drill one, and how large a hole are we talking about here? Should I only drill one on the left (sidestand) side? Can I do this after reassembling the bike (I'm getting impatient here, so my all likelihood, it'll have the wheel on by the end of the day)?

Thanks for your suggestions

2. BluesBass

BluesBass Member

I'd go for the low point in each side of the frame when the bike is on the kickstand (as you would normally park it during those cold days). I would do the smallest size hole I thought would get the job done and see if there was some way you could treat the holes for rust/corrosion resistance.

3. razz1969

razz1969 Active Member

Having a hand in building airplanes out of steel tubing we always put a weep hole in the most lowest part of the airframe. we also filled it with oil then drained it to ward of rust on the inside. Is it necessary on our bikes???? Probably not,,, but what can it hurt. If it makes you all warm inside I say go for it. as a side note if you look on the bottom part of your exhaust you will find weep hole on both mufflers.

4. MN-Maxims

MN-Maxims St. Paul Minnesota

+1 on drilling weep holes in the lowest prt of the frame. Just be sure to spray some WD 40 in there from time to time to keep water out.

MN

5. ManBot13

What size hole? 1/16" small enough to let moisture drain but not affect anything structurally? Any mounting points (like kick stand or center stand) that I shouldn't drill near? I thought these frames came with these holes?

When I got my 750 seca, I noticed that the frame had a huge gash, likely due to freeze damage (it'd been sitting in outdoor sheds in central MA) and I had it repaired. That damage hasn't happened to my turbo seca, and I actually didn't do any drilling of any new holes after the 750 seca was repaired. But given that my garage is now detached, I'd like to not repeat that experience.

6. wizard

wizard Active Member

It's good to drill a hole in the bottom of the frame, you can see if there is actually any metal there.

7. LVSteve2011

LVSteve2011 Member

Hi Manbot, sorry this is a little late, if you live where the temps in winter go below zero, you'll want to have a weep hole. I bought a 750 Maxim from a guy in Minnesota and after I got home I discovered a 1 inch crack in my frame at the bottom right by the kickstand switch mount. Water had gotten in at some time in the past and froze, thus cracking the frame. I have had the frame welded but living here in Las Vegas I won't need a weep hole.

8. mtnbikecrazy55

mtnbikecrazy55 Active Member

dang, looks like im drilling some holes this week! thanks for the heads up!

9. MiGhost

MiGhost Well-Known Member

Lower 48 in general. Otherwise Central Mitten.
    There should already be weep holes in these frames located behind the swingarm bolt covers. Making sure these holes are open will go a long way towards keeping moisture buildup from rusting out the frame.

Ghost

10. ManBot13

Does anyone have any pictures of the wholes? That way, rather than opening up a new one, I can try to pick around and find the original...or put one where it's supposed to be?

11. LVSteve2011

LVSteve2011 Member

If you are looking for holes in the bottom of your frame don't bother, there aren't any, MiGhost has found the only factory weep holes at the swing arm pivots. If you think you really need to make additional weep holes, I suggest that you put the bike on the center stand, lay on the ground and determine where the low point is for the frame and drill a 1/8" hole there and on the opposite side as well.