1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Front fork swap? Guidance plz!

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by Zachary Barton, Mar 8, 2019.

1. Zachary Barton

Zachary Barton New Member

Hey y’all. Zach here with an ‘82 650 Seca (non-yics).

I’m looking to beef up the front end with a fork swap. From what I’ve seen, this is a pretty technical procedure.

I see a few good front ends for sale in my area (D.C. USA) but I’m not sure what features to look for in a donor.

Before I really dig in, does anybody have any experience doing this and can you give me some pointers? What to expect from this project?

-Zach

2. FJ111200

FJ111200 Active Member

First off find the bikes with the same headstock bearings, which will make the donor forks a lot easier to mate up.
    Also for ease you don't want to be getting too much machining, or one made to measure, to the steering stem, $$$$, find one which is the same length or a bit longer than your bike and then you'll only need to find a spacer for the top yoke to sit on.
    Also try to find a front end which will give you a brake upgrade, always worth while that one.
    A fair few of the Yamaha's will work, don't ask me what, i only know what i've done to my bikes, i.e. XJR1200 front end on my XS1100, FJ1200 on my XJR1200 and XS1100.
    Also try to find a top yoke which will allow a set of different handlebars, not always easy to come up with, but i've put a XJ-6 post Diversion top yoke on my FJ forks, which was nice find, though the ignition switch can only be held on with one bolt, but i can live with that.
    Some one else will be along soon, i'm sure, who has done the mod you are thinking of. Good luck and happy hunting.

3. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

https://www.allballsracing.com/ has a conversion chart. why not just rebuild the set you have? you have the dual disc set up with the xj650RJ.

are talking about just a tube swap or full triple tree?

4. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

Last edited: Mar 8, 2019
    chris123 likes this.
  5. a100man

a100man Well-Known Member

If you can, then follow someone else's footsteps. I'm not too much of a dunderhead but I struggled with a DR650 front on my GS500 (dual sport conversion). Even though I was informed it was an easy swap - it hasn't been for me .
    Maybe if I had machine tools and the skills to use them it would have been easier. Issues I encountered..

1) DR650 stem was too long - a spacer wouldn't have worked I don't think and I needed threads to 'crush' down on the top race.
    2) So a stem swap was needed - which requires access to a hydraulic press - this I managed to get and pressed the GS stem into the DR bottom yoke. But..
    3)The DR bottom yoke is thicker than the GS's which I didn't notice so now the stem is a bit too short - I hand filed a lip off the top of the bottom DR yoke but it is still borderline
    4) Steering stops were wrong => required cutting bits off the GS frame and re-welding..

Its all simple enough stuff if you have the tools. Often I have read about folk designs their own stems and sending (DXF?) files off to get them machined.
    As ever with this stuff - go off piste with your eyes open and be prepared for issues.

6. Simmy

Simmy Well-Known Member

I think before you decide to install a later style front end you may want to consider what you're going to do for the rear.
    The shaft drive limits your options for rear wheels.
    The widest rim I've read being adapted are from the Euro XJ900 Diversion, but the swing arm will be another issue limiting a wider tire.
    To my eye, a wider front rim than rear just looks wrong.
    The 650 Seca has that classic cafe look with the big headlight and chrome clocks. Are you planning to keep that?