1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Front forks for 83 xj750 midnight maxim

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by Edgar Olivo, May 14, 2017.

1. Edgar Olivo

Edgar Olivo Member

I have a couple of questions.

I'm trying to rebuild them and want to put the progressive springs but when I go to the website and put my bike they only sell rear shocks the only thing for the forks they sell is the oil. What part number are you guys using or are there any other options I can use.

Also I'm trying to put fork gaiters on them. I been looking trough the forum and found that they need a 36mm top and 55mm for the bottom but what length. I don't trust measuring my current forks because they haven't been rebuilt and I think they might be longer once rebuilt.

Last but not least I took off a clamp that was clamped on the the bottom tree and the forks it had a mount but nothing was mounted to them I looked for images on google to see if I could find a bike with them mc couldn't. I will add pictures to see if anyone can identify what they are.

p.s I would appreciate recommendations on spring rates and suspension settings for my riding weight 300+

Attached Files:

2. chacal

chacal Moderator Moderator Supporting Vendor Premium Member

I don't recognize these as anything stock, maybe it was used to mount a previously installed fairing or ?????

We have all of the following items available, send me an e-mail for specific part number, ordering and payment, info, etc: info@xj4ever.com or use the "Start A Conversation" feature on this website.

Inner Tube Gaiter Boots:

Although not originally used on any XJ-series bikes, these accordion-pleated thick rubber boots fit into the area between the bottom of the steering underbracket and the top of the lower (outer) fork boots, covering and protecting this area from damage, while providing an "old-school" or cafe-racer type look. They are retained to the chrome tube itself (at their top end) via spring clips, and to the top of the lower fork tube via metal screw-clamps.

For a great visual of how these boots appear when installed properly, see the images at:

http://xjbikes.com/forums/index.php?threads/16019

HCP10806 Aftermarket front fork tube GAITER BOOT, black pleated rubber boot is the correct length and diameter to fit all of the following models: all XJ550 models, all XJ650 models, and all XJ750 Maxim and Midnight Maxim models. Does not include attaching hardware. Heavy-duty design has equal spacing between each accordion pleat. Each:
    $

HCP10806SET2 Aftermarket front fork tube GAITER BOOTS, set of 2:
    $

HCP10941 Aftermarket front fork tube GAITER BOOTS, black pleated rubber boot is the correct length and diameter to fit all of the following models: all XJ550 models, all XJ650 models, and all XJ750 Maxim and Midnight Maxim models, all 1981-83 XJ750 Seca, XJ750 Euro, XJ1100, and XS1100 Special and Midnight Special models. Does not include attaching hardware. Light-duty design has equal spacing between each accordion pleat. Pair:
    $

HCP10942 Aftermarket front fork tube GAITER BOOTS, royal blue pleated rubber boot is the correct length and diameter to fit all of the following models: all XJ550 models, all XJ650 models, and all XJ750 Maxim and Midnight Maxim models, all 1981-83 XJ750 Seca, XJ750 Euro, XJ1100, and XS1100 Special and Midnight Special models. Does not include attaching hardware. Light-duty design has equal spacing between each accordion pleat. Pair:
    $

HCP10943 Aftermarket front fork tube GAITER BOOTS, red pleated rubber boot is the correct length and diameter to fit all of the following models: all XJ550 models, all XJ650 models, and all XJ750 Maxim and Midnight Maxim models, all 1981-83 XJ750 Seca, XJ750 Euro, XJ1100, and XS1100 Special and Midnight Special models. Does not include attaching hardware. Light-duty design has equal spacing between each accordion pleat. Pair:
    $

HCP10938 Aftermarket front fork tube GAITER BOOTS, black pleated rubber boot is the correct length and diameter to fit all of the following models: all XJ550 models, all XJ650 models, and all XJ750 Maxim and Midnight Maxim models, all 1981-83 XJ750 Seca, XJ750 Euro, XJ1100, and XS1100 Special and Midnight Special models. Does not include attaching hardware. Light-duty design has equal spacing between each accordion pleat, and each bellows gets wider as the boot extends from top to bottom. Pair:
    $

HCP10939 Aftermarket front fork tube GAITER BOOTS, royal blue pleated rubber boot is the correct length and diameter to fit all of the following models: all XJ550 models, all XJ650 models, and all XJ750 Maxim and Midnight Maxim models, all 1981-83 XJ750 Seca, XJ750 Euro, XJ1100, and XS1100 Special and Midnight Special models. Does not include attaching hardware. Light-duty design has equal spacing between each accordion pleat, and each bellows gets wider as the boot extends from top to bottom. Pair:
    $

HCP11420 Aftermarket fork tube gaiter boot LOWER RETAINING SPRING-CLAMP. Black powdercoated wire-spring type clamp has that old-time look and feel to it. Secure the lower end of the gaiter boot to the top of the lower (outer) fork tube. Fits all XJ-series models. Use 1 per tube, each:
    $

NOTE: gaiter boots normally do not require any type of retainer at their upper end, as the tight friction fit between the boot opening and the chrome tube prevents migration of the boot. If movement seems to occur, then we recommend the use of thin, black electrical wire ties to cinch the boot flange tightly to the tube.

Inner Tube Fork Springs:

HCP9435 Aftermarket front suspension COIL SPRINGS, one pair does both forks. For all XJ750 Maxim and Midnight Maxim models. Your original front spring spacers and spring seats are required to be re-used with these springs. NOTE: due to the difference in size of this spring versus stock springs, you will need to use approximately 36 cc's less fork oil (for a total of 221cc's per tube) when installing these springs on 1982 XJ750 Maxim models, and use approximately 35 cc's less fork oil (for a total of 243cc's per tube) when installing these springs on 1983 XJ750 Maxim or Midnight Maxim models. NOTE: springs should be installed with the tighter (more-closely spaced together) coils towards the top of the fork tube.
    $

Jetfixer likes this.
  3. Toomanybikes

Toomanybikes Well-Known Member

Have seen a mount like that. Side car kit with steering damper mount