1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Fuel Filter

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by waldreps, Apr 25, 2016.

1. waldreps

waldreps Active Member

I'm going to put a fuel filter on my 82 XJ650 Maxim and Len's catalog says that the 90 degree one he sells is the most popular. I'm thinking I'll go with that one. Does anyone have a picture of one of those installed? I've read about a number of people having air bubble and flow problems with fuel filters in general(not one type in particular) and want to make sure I know where in the line to put it to avoid that. Should it be placed as far down behind the carbs as possible? A picture would be great if anyone has one for the 90 degree filter.

Thanks,
    Stacy

2. Jetfixer

Jetfixer Well-Known Member

I use a Briggs & Stratton fuel filter (had 2 in my parts box new in package) they are red plastic small and easy to pop in.

3. DrewUth

DrewUth Active Member

I prefer paper element filters over the brass elements (and especially over simple screens) wherever possible because I feel they filter out finer material, but I have yet to find a 90* one for motorsickle applications. The brass ones do an OK job. The air bubbles don't really matter; I used to stress over that but I found that when I just ignored it, the bike(s) still ran fine and the bubbles eventually went away.

4. waldreps

waldreps Active Member

What I'm really wanting to know is if the 90 degree fuel filter can be mounted as shown in the picture below? This would be as viewed from the left side of the bike as if you are looking at the petcock. I'm thinking this should be mounted toward the rear of the carbs and as low as possible. I want to make sure there will be no air lock problem. I would really like to see how others, who don't have any problems, have mounted this filter. Thanks.

[​IMG]

5. DrewUth

DrewUth Active Member

There wont be an air lock problem. That is how they (at least the one in the photo) are supposed to be connected, in regards to the inlet and outlet.

6. waldreps

waldreps Active Member

I know that I've got the inlet and outlet labeled correctly. I'm more concerned with the orientation of the filter. If it sits just as shown on the bike, will the air that is most likely going to collect in the upper cone be a problem?

7. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

That is the way they fit on the bike. Those fit well because there is so little room between the top of the carb rack and the bottom of the tank.

Here is one installed on tzkaz1's bike (though he really should have the upward fuel line routed inside of the upper rack bracket).
    [​IMG]

I use the 180º version of that type filter, and it also fits well in the available space.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2016
    waldreps likes this.
  8. waldreps

waldreps Active Member

Thanks, that's what I wanted to know. I know I'm being a little paranoid but just want to be sure. I want a good fuel filter on it but didn't want any air lock problems like I've read so much about. Thanks everybody!

Samsquamch likes this.
  9. tabaka45

tabaka45 Well-Known Member

Mine on my XJ700 is installed exactly as the one K-moe shows. I've had no problems at all with it. Remove the tank, install the fuel line vertically from the carb inlet, cut it to the correct height so that the fuel line from the tank is level or slightly descending and connect to the filter. Works great.

waldreps likes this.
  10. Dave in Ireland

Dave in Ireland Well-Known Member

I've been running fuel filters for years and never found a bubble to cause a problem. An air lock is a different thing, of course.

DrewUth likes this.
  11. rocs82650

rocs82650 Well-Known Member

As you can see the filter on my bike is also located as the one on t1's and tabaka's bikes.
    20160426_163842.jpg

Gary H.

waldreps likes this.
  12. waldreps

waldreps Active Member

Thanks. That's what I wanted to see.

13. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

I will tell you two things. The tip of the filter can run on the underside of the tank, and the plastic will become brittle with age. Make the fuel filter a part of your annual inspection routine.

14. waldreps

waldreps Active Member

Will do. Thanks.

15. chris123

chris123 Active Member

Im currently using the tank filter AND the inline filter and I think I’m having fuel flow issues.

Is it recommended to remove the in tank standpipe filters once the inline filter is installed?

Thanks!

16. Huntchuks

Huntchuks Well-Known Member

There is no reason to remove the tank/petcock filter. It helps keep crud out of your petcock for one thing. On my XJ700's it also determines the fuel level for the reserve fuel.

17. tabaka45

tabaka45 Well-Known Member

If you are having fuel flow problems you can remove the petcock and be sure that the inside stack filter is clean--but, as Huntchucks says, do not remove it. If that doesn't solve it, then you probably have a problem with the petcock and it may need attention. If you had no fuel flow problems before adding the inline filter, then that's probably where the problem is.

18. Melnic

Melnic Active Member

Can you post a pic of your filter setup?

19. chris123

chris123 Active Member

I love this forum :)

I got the bike to where it would reliably run of the aux tank (bottle). It would fire right up. I have the carbs synced and partially color tuned. I was going to ride it to work to tune it the rest of the way.

I tried to run it off the bike tank and it wouldn’t. So I bought a new petcock off Amazon. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08Z34VRBJ?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

O
    nce the new petcock arrived I tried again. It didn’t work. But now, the bike also won’t run off the bottle. I’m speculating that my 90* fuel filter is now plugged, so I have more on the way. I cleaned the heck out of my tank but I think a glob of Kreem may have gotten to my filter.

Pictures below of my new petcock and my fuel line to the filter. The fuel line is as low as I can get it, and the line is as short as I can get it (realistically it’s probably too short).

IMG_5734.jpeg IMG_5733.jpeg

20. Huntchuks

Huntchuks Well-Known Member

Disconnect line from petcock and attach a longer one to run to a container. Turn petcock on and observe if fuel is flowing freely. If so, remove sintered filter and connect it to long line, repeat test.

chacal and chris123 like this.