1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Fuel leak from enrichment ports.

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by Tnthydro, Jun 28, 2019.

1. Tnthydro

Tnthydro New Member

What is the correct way to adjust the choke cable. If I set the choke cable all the way open, I get a fuel drip from the carbs. If I only use half choke, it seems better. Does that make sense? Too much throw? Thanks

2. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

The choke (really fuel enrichment) cannot cause fuel to drip from the carbs.
    You very likely have a sticky float. Check your oil level and remove the oil fill cap to see if you smell gasoline in the sump.
    Give the float bowls a light rap with a screwdriver handle to see if the floats unstick and the fuel leak ceases.
    If there is fuel in the oil you will need to change the oil, make sure the carbs can't leak anymore, and then put new oil in before starting the bike again.

Tnthydro likes this.
  3. Tnthydro

Tnthydro New Member

I only have the leak when I use the fuel enrichment (choke). Its an odd leak, not all the time, seems worse when I use "full" choke. Appears to be coming from between #2 and #3 carbs. If my floats were sticking, wouldn't it be dripping from the overflow hose? Any help you can give me is much appreciated. Thanks!

4. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

We need to know what year and model of XJ. There are several differences in carb setups.
    I know that you originally posted in a thread about the XJ750, but even within that model designation there are several sub-models. For example my bike is a 1982 XJ750 Seca. There are also XJ750 Maxims, XJ750 Maxim-X, Xj750RH Seca, and several semi-unique XJ750 Police models. All but two of those models have different carbs.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2019
    Tnthydro likes this.
  5. Tnthydro

Tnthydro New Member

1985 XJ700, Maxim thanks!