1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

gas mileage?

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by Crash Fistfite, Aug 10, 2015.

1. Crash Fistfite

Crash Fistfite New Member

Hey guys. I'm a pretty new xj650 owner...as can be seen in my post in the hangout section.
    This has probably been covered a million times...but

How many miles do you other 650 owners usually get out of a tank of gas? I realize that the tank is pretty small...and I'm used to my old shadow 1100...but I've had to switch to reserve twice in the 2 weeks I've had the bike...just trying to see what everyone else is getting, so i can set my trip odometer after a fill up and know when I'm about to need gas!!

Thanks!

2. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

A few details are needed. Which model and year of XJ650 do you have?
    Add it to your signature.

3. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

what are you getting for mileage?

4. khemist000

khemist000 New Member

'86 XJ700. I get ABOUT 80 miles before I need to switch to reserve tank. Though last time it snuck up on me and was closer to 75 before I started to feel the power dip. Im kind of a nub when it comes to filling up so it may just be me not squeezing in a 'full' tank. Only been riding the Maxim for a few weeks so trying to learn and work out the quirks. Hope this helps!

5. XJ550H

you have 2 choices when filling your tank on the side stand or on the center stand then fill to the bottom of the filler neck.
    as long as you do it the same way you will be able to qualify your results.

6. khemist000

khemist000 New Member

Yeah, I totally hear you. Trying to figure out the best way to fill without getting splash. The second time I filled my tank I splashed gas ALL over it :(. I tend to like filling when on the side stand rather than when I'm on the bike (or the center stand), but I may switch as I get more comfortable.

7. MattiThundrrr

MattiThundrrr Not a guru

Filling while on the bike is dangerous... if off the bike, gas spills on the bike. If on the bike, gas is ALL OVER YOUR JUNK N STUFF!!! Believe you me, it's NOT supposed to burn down there!!!!!!!

8. XJ550H

you use a bandanna around the nozzel and to wipe up any splash then hang it on your handle bars to dry.

9. khemist000

khemist000 New Member

I love everything about this forum :D!

The bandanna trick is actually a great idea! i would probably just hang it off the rear seat bar so its not flapping in my face. Ill give that a shot next time I fill up.

10. MattiThundrrr

MattiThundrrr Not a guru

or if interrested in a Matti style trip, stuff the gas soaked rag inside your helmet! Don't think there is a breathalyser test for that...
    "Why yes, Officer, I do have license and insurance, just let me get rid of this rag first!"

BigT likes this.
  11. cgutz

cgutz Well-Known Member

With my 83 XJ550J Maxim I get around 40-45 mpg typically. With the 2.5 gallon tank, I have to switch to reserve between 80-90 miles. Slightly more miles when over the road, but haven't had it very far out of town in years.

khemist000 likes this.
  12. k-moe

You should have almost a 4 gallon (U.S.) tank unless you're running something that's non-stock.

13. cgutz

cgutz Well-Known Member

Absolute stock XJ550K Maxim (sorry, said it was a "J" model above). Owned it since the dealer sold it to me new. 2.5 gallon tank on these models.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2015
  14. XJ550H

parts look up says same tank for 81 to 83 maxim 3.4 gal with 1 gal as reserve have you ever put the tank on res?

I am getting 51 mpg 87 octane

Last edited: Aug 26, 2015
    k-moe likes this.
  15. khemist000

khemist000 New Member

A little bit off topic, but I think it fits this thread. When I bought my 86 Maxim 700, I used only premium gas as this is what the previous owner suggested. Plus, I always feel like premium gas makes engines happier. Well, I finally got around to reading through the owners manual and I noticed that they recommend REGULAR gas... so I decided to try it.

I'm only one tank in, but I think regular gas gives me a HUGE increase in mileage! Sorry if this was brought up before, I haven't been super thorough in reading through all of the threads.

I fill my tank on the side stand till the gas is right at the base of the tank cap (leaving a tiny bit of room for expansion).

When I put premium in I would hit about 75-80 miles and would have to either switch to reserve or just fill up in expectation. I would typically need to put in about 2.5 gallons.

When I put in regular this weekend I had ridden about 75-79 miles before I realized 'Oh crap, Im getting low on gas! I should fill up.' I pulled off to a gas station at about 82 or so miles and when I filled up, I had ONLY put in about 1.7 gallons.

My riding circumstances were a little bit different this weekend and I probably had about 9/10ths of a gallon of premium still in the tank, but I'm definitely going to try and do a few weeks on regular and see how the bike performs and how my mileage varies.

Just thought I would share.

Any of you guys have similar experiences? Any reasons to NOT use regular gas?

16. k-moe

I'd put the better mileage down to the riding conditions and the weather (wind speed and direction matters). The change in octane made no difference in the amount of energy stored in the tank. Octane is a measurement of the resistance a fuel has to detonation, nothing more. Using a lower octane fuel did reduce your cost per mile ratio though.

17. XJ550H

my side cover says regular gas but states all testing done with 91 oct

18. khemist000

khemist000 New Member

Yeah, I probably got a bit overexcited, per usual. But the savings were real, the performance the same and it definitely made me question using the better stuff. I'll report back after several weeks and let you guys know if it was a fluke or not.

What do you fill up with?

19. XJ550H

citgo regular. 87 octane
    high test is just an ego thing , we do not have what are considered high compresion motors which is what high test is for

Last edited: Aug 26, 2015
  20. k-moe

The low octane. Which pump octane number that is varies by what altitude I'm buying gas at.