1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

gear shift seal leaking

Discussion in 'XJ DIY How-To Instructions' started by jake williams, Sep 11, 2015.

1. jake williams

jake williams New Member

85 maxim is leaking oil out of gear shift seal is it an easy fix can someone give me help and advice

2. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

1. Get a service manual (even with all the knowledge here they are an invaluable tool)

2. Buy a new shift shaft seal and shift cover gasket.

3. Drain the engine oil and remove the shift lever.

4. Remove the shift cover.

5. Use a blunt screwdriver to pry out the old shift seal.

4. Clean the old gasket from the cover and the engine case.

5. Use a small socket to install the new oil seal, making sure that the socket presses on the outer diameter of the seal and that the open side of the seal faces the engine case.

6. using a small amount of oilproof, black RTV (or Locktite 515) install the new gasket on the engine case.

7. Reinstall the cover (after having lubricated the inside of the shifer oil seal).

8. Tighten the cover bolts to 7.2 Ft Lbs of torque, in a criss-cross pattern.

9. Reinstall the shift lever and fill the crankcase with oil until thre is just a small bubble showing at the top of the sight glass.

DNad likes this.
  3. jake williams

jake williams New Member

Thank you

4. Polock

Polock Well-Known Member

i thought those went in from the outside...

DNad likes this.
  5. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

They do, but getting the old one out is a bear with the cover in place.

DNad likes this.
  6. DNad

DNad New Member

Hello friends, I know this is an old thread and I’m not sure if anyone will respond to this but if you do respond, I’ll really appreciate that.
    I am trying to to restore a 1982 Maxim in the UK and battling with the shift shaft seal. I have installed it as above i.e. the spring / open side facing towards the engine / gear box and the flat side facing the cover, however after tightening the cover, it was impossible to move the gear levers. It felt like the cover was putting pressure on seal and squeezing the shaft so it became stiff. As soon as I release the fasteners on the cover the lever is freed up and I can shift gears. Without the seal, the gears shift freely.
    I also noted that the part of cover that is supposed to touch the seal when installed is not completely circular because when I opened the cover up to inspect, the seal had become oval in shape due to pressure from cover (to match the housing in the cover). I’m not sure if I’m doing something wrong here?

Thanks in advance for your help with this.
    N

7. DNad

DNad New Member

Or am i totally messing it up by installing the seal on the gear shaft (from inside the cover)?
    Is it suppose to be installed from outside of the casing? (It doesn’t seem like. Ill try to upload a pic today. Thanks

8. DNad

DNad New Member

Attached Files:

9. DNad

DNad New Member

So bravely I used the punch and hammer to chiesel out the seized and completely stuck seal. I hope this is the way to do it. The seal was completely fused with cover and I was too afraid to break it. It looked Almost part of the housing cover. I hope I have done the right thing.

Attached Files:

10. Franz

Franz Well-Known Member

The seal should be fitted into the recess on the outside of the cover. Oil it and press it in with a suitable sized socket.

The metal ring on the seal should not be visible when installed outside the cover. The seal has been crushed between the cover and gear selector shaft that is what caused the gear selection problem. Clean debris out of the seal recess then fit the new one. Put some engine oil on the selector shaft before fitting the cover.

16181399870155512915347903958172.jpg

Is the cover recess damaged looks like it in the photograph where you are holding the seal near the seal recess? Hope not but if it is there are plenty of covers on eBay.

Install as k-moe described above.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2021
    DNad likes this.
  11. DNad

DNad New Member

Thanks problem solved.
    The seal was fused with outside cover which caused confusion at my end. It was refusing to come out until I used a punch and hammer. All done now. Thanks a ton!.