1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

general comments about maxims

Discussion in 'Hangout Lounge' started by cruiserlover, May 27, 2018.

1. cruiserlover

cruiserlover Active Member

It looks like I will be getting rid of all my old yamaha venture stuff next week.They take up a LOT of room.I have my 82 650 parts bike.I have my running and rideable 81 that I just need to get the front brake back on then register it.If it wasnt for chacal/len/xj4ever I would not be interested in these bikes near as much. There are so many bikes with so many nice features but zero support for parts aftermarket,nos,or used. But knowing I can every last nut bolt and whatsit for my bike makes me a lifelong xjer. Here is my new problem.2 part problem. I know there are different displacements, and it seems that 1 particular model was maybe just for 1 year.The 650 seems to have had the longest run,and I own 2 of those. I still cant find a right sidecover-a little sidenote. But now, I have found a 500,750 and I want both of them.Its kind of like when i was in the suzuki gs scene.All the various displacements but working on any of them was pretty much repetitious and therefore made it possible for me to learn how to work on them. I found a 750 midnight maxim I just have to have. I can only ride 1 bike at a time. What is it that makes me do that. The other day with no working front or rear brake I rode my bike.How dumb is that. I gave it a fair bit of gas going from first to second.what a rush. If it wasnt for engine brakeing I could be a windshield ornament right now. I love being addicted, its expensive but still cheaper than my exwife.

ksigurdsen likes this.
  2. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

I have several XJ Bikes I still enjoy riding my 550 maxim just as much as my 750s . If i run across a Midnight I will buy it. .
    I don't really care for the Seca design I do have a 650 and 550 Seca. the only bike I have with out a right side cover is my XJ650RJ.
    xj650 Maxim part-out is advertising a right side cover , I have purchased several parts from 750MaximSeattle. he updates his CL sites as he sells items

3. cruiserlover

I can not imagine parting out a bike like that.The bike is probably worth 1500,but he probably sold the parts for 3000.I still couldnt make myself take one apart like that.I also doubt a sidecover would still be available.thanks for the tip though

4. Minimutly

Minimutly Well-Known Member

The PO of my midnight maxim sold the carburretors, footpegs, seat, sidepanels, handlebars (ok, don't hold that one against him).
    He also cut off the rear end and binned the bits....
    Oh, also the headlight - is it the same as a 700 maxim?

5. cruiserlover

thanks to this forum today I found and bought a right sidecover.If the guy is for real.$65.00. I should be back on the road next week.I need to get rid of the buckhorn godawful bars.I have some trooper style but they are too wide.The stock cable lengths wont be enough. But hallelujah, if my sidecover comes I will be a happy man.However, the first guy who offers me $200 for it, its yours.

6. cruiserlover

are you looking for parts.My 650 stuff might work.i dont have any carbs though

7. cruiserlover

so,I have a seat,frame,pegs if yu r interested. someone here would know if they would work.

8. Minimutly

Hi Cruislover, they would have to be maxim, and in the Uk or at least Europe tp make it work I'm afraid - we have to pay postage, import duty and vat on top of any purchase price, which makes US stuff a little dear.
    I still haven't decided what to do about the seat and frame, part of me would like to be able to take a passenger occasionally, but in reallity it will be a rare event, so I have some decisions to make.
    I also just recently bought a complete frame seca, so maybe that will fullfil that need, the shame is that the maxim would be better suited to two up style wise, but once you cut up and bin the seat and frame it's too late..
    Anyway, if you have a seat and the back end of a frame and bits (mudguard, lights etc), message me, I can at least work out total cost and then decide?
    Many thanks.

9. cruiserlover

I have all that stuff.but entire frame.the back end isnt removeable i dont think.mudguards= fender? Yes.great condition with good tailight.

10. cruiserlover

Shipping is probably very high.fender and tailight assembly $20.00

11. cruiserlover

my 650 is a maxim I think.It does not have a suqare headlight.It as the king and queen seat with pullback handlebars.Maybe that isnt a maxim

12. XJ550H

only year Seca 650 is 1982 8" round headlight slim tank with indents, flatter bars and dual disc brakes up front

Last edited: May 28, 2018
  13. Minimutly

8 inch headlight - that would be my secathen, not had any luck finding one yet, but not desperate until I've had it running.

14. Bluegray57

Bluegray57 Active Member

My 81 is the same. I'm sure yours is a maxim as well.

15. XJ550H

motor running well before cosmetics is a good plan

16. cruiserlover

I bought a headlight off ebay.$51 includes shipping.Fits into the stock maxim shell. I just measured, it is an 8 inch.parts n more japanese