1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Gonna bring back a 1982 Maxim 750

Discussion in 'Hangout Lounge' started by Steven Garner, Dec 2, 2018.

1. Steven Garner

Steven Garner New Member

Hi everybody, my name is Steve and I was active on this site about 7 years ago just after I bought the above mentioned bike. When I got it home, I found just one problem, there was a broken valve guide on the intake side of number 4 cylinder and I was mystified as to how that could have been done. After quite a bit of thought, I deduced that it was caused by the actions of a fairly incompetent mechanic, probably happened during an attempt to remove a guide seal, as a result of no seal the rings got all gummed up from the excess oil. Any how, fast forward to 2018 and conditions are becoming favorable for me to begin a total restoration. I promise that this bike will not suffer the fate of other XJ 750's, this one is not going to be "BOBBED" so long as I own it. I will do my best to document this project. In case you're wondering, the bike is mostly disassembled and over 100% complete; WHOA you say, how could it be more than 100%? I have 2 sets of fork assemblies and 2 complete sets of carbs. It is my hope to restore it to a condition equal to or better than brand new. Thank you all for taking the time to read this and I look forward to bringing you updates on my efforts. Things aren't going to happen too awful fast just yet as I have to prepare the garage where I'll be working on it.

Quixote, Craig B and Jetfixer like this.
  2. Toomanybikes

Toomanybikes Well-Known Member

Can’t wait to see the results!

Jetfixer likes this.
  3. Steven Garner

Steven Garner New Member

Howdy XJ bikers, I sadly report that my plans to bring back my 1982 XJ 750 Maxim are once again on hold. The guy that I am renting from has unexpectedly asked me to vacate the room I've been renting for the past year. I knew this guy had the potential to be a major asshole, so I can't really be surprised, I'd been getting along great with him, then BANG! he drops this on me. I will be getting a storage unit hopefully big enough to at least assemble the bike when I have all the parts painted, polished, plated, ect. Until then, adieu.

4. tabaka45

tabaka45 Well-Known Member

Bummer. But most things work out for the best in the long run.