1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Good: KEY-MEN

Discussion in 'Reviews - Service, Online, Retail Shop' started by MiCarl, Sep 27, 2006.

1. MiCarl

MiCarl Active Member

My '82 650 Maxim came with only one set of keys. The local stealership had no luck copying them.

I contacted www.key-men.com. They were able to make keys from the codes stamped on the OEM keys I had. They claim to be able to usually make keys from scans or pencil tracings also.

Excellent email communication

FYI, the ILCO keyblank number for my bike is YH47. I believe most of the XJs use that blank. Search their site for YH47 and compare the images.

2. ArizonaSteve

ArizonaSteve Member

There's no need to order a key since any good lock and key shop can make a copy. Not the one at Walmart though, you have to go to a REAL lock shop. They are listed in the yellow pages.

3. Robert

Robert Active Member

Odd, my experience with stealerships has yielded two good copies from codes on the key. I surmise that you have to get a competent or properly equiped dealer to get this to happen. Agree with Arizona, Walmart is fine for house locks but I've struck out regularly for motorcycles. Local locksmith is a bit more expensive but I don't get bad keys from him!

4. SnoSheriff

SnoSheriff Site Owner Staff Member Administrator

Locksmith is the expert so they should be able to cut you a spare.

5. ArizonaSteve

ArizonaSteve Member

I tried getting a key once from the dealer for my SR500. I gave them the 4 digit key number and they said there was no such thing because Yamaha keys have 5 digit numbers! The problem is the bike was older than anyone in the shop and none of the 19 year old high school drop outs working there had ever seen a 4 digit number or heard of an SR500!

6. jamescomp

jamescomp Member

i just got 4 copys at amreican lock and key southgate michigan you can get their phone number from information or go there if your in this area they cost me 1.90 ea