1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Got a new to me bike

Discussion in 'Other Motorcycles' started by saftie, Feb 18, 2019.

1. Simmy

Simmy Well-Known Member

Don't laugh, there is actually a racing class nick named cripple-triples, 600 supersports with a cylinder disabled.
    I believe the piston and valves must remain but the fuel injector is disabled, that cylinder (commonly #3) will be a drag as it's still compressing air.
    The power stroke on that cylinder will just be the rebound of compressing the air so not a total loss of energy like an air compressor.

k-moe likes this.
  2. saftie

saftie Well-Known Member Premium Member

So I built myself a race bike? Lol

k-moe likes this.
  3. saftie

Had a suspicion that it was vacuum related and was right. I removed vacuum tube from cylinder 4 and 'plugged' it with thumb. Cylinder immediately fired.

Means I have an issue in the vacuum system somewhere. There is a valve with membrane, I'll check that next

Bike now sounds as it should

Last edited: May 4, 2019
  4. saftie

Reading more and all the tubes and vacuum lines go into emissions stuff because I seem to have the CA version.

I either delete it or figure out how it works and fix it. Very close...

5. saftie

Connected all hoses according to manual and no more issues with 4th cylinder. Maybe it helped that I cleaned the membrane on that one valve yesterday. Bike fired right up.
    Had it idle for 10 mins, will check for leaks now then put fairings back on.
    Once done I will get better fuel lines, sync the carbs and finish up with tank.

6. saftie

So...
    Checked for leaks and all good. Found out where the mystery coolant drops are coming from... Had some residue on stand from disassembly and it forms there. Only noticed one when I moved stand. The vibrations made it fall.

Anyway, I have to replace the oil cooler hoses, one looks a bit oily around pressure fitting, but not enough to drip.
    I'll do that when I change oil in 50 miles or so.

Time to put fairings on which will be a pain....

7. saftie

Slowly but surely..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Franz and dkavanagh like this.
  8. saftie

Took an hour of trial and error to get the front back on and have it fit correctly...

[​IMG]

9. Timbox

Timbox Well-Known Member

I hear ya, after the time it takes to do the motor and get everything the way you want it. Then go back and put tab A into B and so on. Find the correct size screw and gromit that will fit and then hope the gromit holds as you turn the screw tight. I get it, been there! Looks really good and I sure do like the Kaw green.

10. saftie

Right, next thing is that there is a plastic tube connecting two carb vents. Mine is with Dave and the original carbs, so I had to order a replacement. Gets here on Friday. Until then I can't finish up. I thought about using t-connectors and tubes, but it's too much of a hackjob. Gonna do it right.
    Only things left now are fitting airbox, putting the tank back on and adjust rear wheel and chain once it's back in the floor. Hopefully all is finished Saturday morning so I can test ride her this weekend.

Chitwood likes this.
  11. saftie

Gotta love Novus polish. Just need to do the entire bike now.

Before
    [​IMG]

After
    [​IMG]

Horn and brake light (front) didn't work. Brake light switch on front brake needed a cleaning, now it's working again. Horn turned out to be dead and a new one is ordered.
    Thankfully no wiring issues, test light came in super handy.

12. xHondaHack

xHondaHack Active Member Premium Member

Wow, Nice!

You know....you're gonna have to find a Kawasaki showroom to display it on now.

Tony

13. saftie

Now it just needs to ride as nicely as it looks.

The left tail fairing has two small cracks, the only cosmetic issue on the bike. Barely noticeable from 6 feet away, but I will replace that one should I find the part. Can't find it anywhere though at the moment.

14. saftie

Well, that plastic carb pipe didn't quite fit and I had to modify. The plastic epoxy is now drying. Hopefully I find time later today to finish.

This gave me time to check out the bike I picked up last night, a 79 BMW R65. One piston is shattered so the engine will need some work. Other than that, everything else is working. Poor guy had the bike fixed up and inspected. Took her for a ride right after when it happened. I couldn't pass up this opportunity to get a hold of a bike like this for that cheap. Came with a ton of new gaskets, cables and a manual. And has new tires on it as well. Not sure yet whether I'm going to drop the engine entirely or work on the cyclinder heads while still in bike.

[​IMG]

15. Timbox

Timbox Well-Known Member

You and your bikes just falling into your lap...not fair sometimes you know :D That looks to be able to tear into right in the bike, lots of room to work on and around it without bumping into all kind of stuff. That is a far cry from the mean green. You will have to start a new thread for that one. Nice tires $300.. and if only that one piston is gone, depending how much damage happened...you get to enjoy the side ways roll at the stop light when you rev the throttle. Fun but you have to get used to it form the inline 4's. Nice find!

16. saftie

Ha, will do. Was actually looking for a goldwing as a next custom project but then saw this. Mainly bought it because it's same year as me and also a German. :)
    This will be a flip bike though (I think) bc they still go for a lot of money. And if all goes well, the parts for this one will only run me 200 bucks.

Timbox likes this.
  17. saftie

Carbs are synched now, just finished that part. She purrs nicely. Just waiting for that one last part and she's ready to roll.

Thing with this bike is if there is one vacuum hose not connected the right way, the entire bike doesn't start up. Good to keep in mind for future troubleshooting.

Last edited: May 13, 2019
  18. saftie

BMW sneak peek....
    I am going to document everything on my website (gabobobikes.com/R65) if you're interested in how this ends...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

19. Timbox

Timbox Well-Known Member

Saftie, had no idea you had your own page and bike business, very nice :) I will be keeping an eye on that build. That looks nasty for a connection rod brake, wow. I also will be looking at the 900 RR bike, I just like them along with a Z1000. Have fun with the BMW.

20. saftie

Nah, not a business, just photo doc. Once in a while I fix up a bike for someone. The "services" on there would go to Dave or a friend who's a fabricator.
    The cbr900 is sold, still need to update. That money basically got me the bmw.
    Cbr was supposed to be my Kinga V2, but I still have a couple of bikes that I need to finish up.

Last edited: May 14, 2019