1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

GPS mount power from ignition / XJ600 Diversion S 1996

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by Mkpedersen, Jul 10, 2020.

1. Mkpedersen

Mkpedersen New Member

Hi There!

I am completely new on this forum.

I have tried to search the forum, but couldn't find anything...

I am installing af Garmin Zumo GPS on my Yamaha XJ 600 Diversion S from 1996.

I would like the GPS to turn on, when I turn on the key, and start the motorcycle.

But I can't seem to find where I have to put on the power cable to the GPS.

So far I have mounted it directly to the battery - but it would be better, if it was connected to the ignition key.

Can any of you help me with a description of where to connect the cable?

Kind regards

Martin

2. ManBot13

ManBot13 Well-Known Member

Fuse the power from the battery and wire up a relay to switched power. Otherwise just wire it from the fuse box after the return from the ignition. Just be careful what you fuse so that if it blows it doesn't cut out something else you need and get you stranded.

3. Timbox

Timbox Well-Known Member

Welcome to the forum so much get information here. Do you have some tools and or multi meter for checking DC voltage? A test light or something to find the switched power? Should be easy to find if you have the right tools. I would guess one of the left over wires in the headlight bucket would be switched power. I think it would be Brown in color, but maybe different. Most bikes come with a wire like that from factory for ACC that you might add later one.

4. tabaka45

tabaka45 Well-Known Member

On my Honda, my hot wire to my Zumo is attached to the headlight wire inside the headlight. Just be sure it's the low beam which stays on all the time. I initially had mine attached to the high beam and it would cut off when I went to low beam.