1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Greetings & salutations

Discussion in 'Hangout Lounge' started by fasterdammit, Aug 17, 2009.

1. fasterdammit

fasterdammit New Member

I'm actually not an XJ owner, but I'm riding one for the time being. The 1982 Maxim 750 sitting in my garage actually belongs to my Dad. He's been letting it collect cobwebs in his garage since he bought his Hardley a while ago. I borrow the Maxim whenever my usual bikes aren't available.

Which brings me to today. I have an '88 Ducati Paso 750 which undergoing a handful of routine service items before it's roadworthy again (waiting on my shock ... hello, hello?) and I have a '97 Ducati Monster 750 which was broadsided 4 weeks ago today. Totaled it. Punted me across four lanes of traffic, but if I had to choose an accident to be in, I'll take this one TYVM because I walked away with some roadrash (cotton twill work pants suck for asphalt surfing) and some torn muscle in one knee. So ... two Ducatis, one down for repairs, one down for service ... but I'm enjoying wheeling around on Dad's old Maxim in the meantime.

And since Dad usually comes to me for service/repair stuff anyway, I figured it wouldn't be a bad idea sign up here anyway. So, hi. I'm Jake. I do web design/development, put less than 2k miles on my truck a year and spend every moment I can think/talking/riding motorcycles. Besides work and riding, I'm a daddy of 2, hubby & a guitar player.

2. XJDriver

XJDriver Member

Welcome Jake, you have come to the right place for all the repair and maintainance needs for your Dad's XJ :)

3. Wyldman

Wyldman Member

Welcome to the forum. ;)

4. lowlifexj

lowlifexj Member

Hi Jake, welcome and good to see that cager didn't get you to bad...

5. helmet

helmet Member

welcome! too bad your dad bought a harley... I liked him until you mentioned that :D

6. Dave_89_VMAX

Dave_89_VMAX Member

Welcome Jake, This is one great group of people. The knowedge base is strong and the support of the mebers even stronger. Keep it safe.

7. dmx_xs400L

dmx_xs400L Member

Hi Jake,
    That fall must have been scary. What caused it?

And why the VMax in the name? You say you own 2 Ducatis... Curious 'cause I bought one a few weeks ago.

edit: mixing up two posts here... sorry

8. xj650ss

xj650ss Member

Welcome to the site!
    Shaun

9. fasterdammit

fasterdammit New Member

(Hah! I did post here, waaaay back when. )

So, updating ... the XJ is officially mine. Dad hasn't ridden it, wasn't going to ride it, and was talking about selling it. So it's staying in the family, at least, and it'll get some attention on a regular basis. I've thought about customizing it, but I'm not clear on what I'd do so I think for the time being, my 'customization' will be limited to more like updates: S/S lines first, maybe a round headlight. I am not used to that spindly-ass suspension, so it's hard not to daydream about even a FZR front end (or whatever would fit), and updated rear shocks.

In response to the hit - a guy in an SUV ignored a turn-only lane sign (that was right next to the red light he was sitting at) and drove straight - directly into me. I didn't even have time to react, really; at the last second I realized there was a grille about 6" from my left knee. I do recall being pissed off more than anything at first - "this guy is going to hit my bike!" - then I was on the ground and the next thing to go through my head was that I was going to get run over because the SUV was still coming. I went flying & tumbling, ultimately, and each time I saw the SUV it was a little further away, so that was good. Unfortunately, it was also on top of my Monster. That was a while ago, and in the meantime I bought the Monster back from the ins. co. and fixed it. I was riding it until a year ago, when the transmission output bearing grenaded - a time-bomb artifact of this accident, I think. So now I'm in the market for either a replacement engine and/or some free space on my workbench to split the cases.

As for the Ducatis, yeah, they're my first loves. I'm enjoying the XJ, but I love the Ducs. The Paso is one of 55 in the States, and the Monster is one of 100. I don't think that makes them worth anymore, but their value is more than monetary to me. Do you still have your Ducati? What'd you get?

10. lupz

lupz New Member

Welcome.