1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Had a spill...what I've learned

Discussion in 'Hangout Lounge' started by ManBot13, May 15, 2011.

1. ManBot13

ManBot13 Well-Known Member

So I just had my first spill last night. While unpleasant, it could have been a lot worse.

I headed out from Bethesda to Baltimore, about a 40 min drive, to pick up a stock air cleaner with jets for my V-Star 650 for $35. The weather man said it would be rainy, but it held off, and at 6PM I decided that I could make the trip down and back before the thunderstorms rolled in. Of course I don't have any rain gear, so I'd get soaked if I didn't.

I got there, although it was lightly drizzling as I arrived. I picked up the part, filled up (because it was ONLY $4.05 :roll: ). Then I started off the wrong way down 100. I didn't know the area well so when I figured out that I wasn't going the right way I started panicing a little, because I wanted to get home quick. I took the next exit, realized I was going too fast (speed limit was 55, and I was probably doing 65}, stated braking then promptly lost traction. The bike bucked twice and I was sliding on the right side, through the exit ramp.

I ended up with a contusion on my left wrist, some rug burn from my relaxed fit Joe Rocket jacket, and the slightest bruise on my knee. Thankfully, I'd convinced myself to ride ATGATT, and it's an good thing I did. It's all cheap, Joe Rocket gear, and it took a lot of damage, but it'll be easier to replace than skin.

The bike lost a crappy turn signal, mirror, and non-stock headlight. I was kinda planning on replacing those, now I have to. The handlebars are really bent, and cracked a meticulously polished right engine cover. There's a dent in the tank, a cracked spark plug cap, and some scratches on the exhaust and atari.

Looks like it's time to get moving on that paint job (i have three tanks). I'm looking for suggestions on handlebars, though I didn't really mind stock. Maybe something more aggressive will be more fun.

Lessons learned: motorcycle gear really does work, even the cheap stuff. Also, don't ride distracted, I should've recognized that the road conditions were bad and slowed down. But I was too focusedon beating the rain.

2. TIMEtoRIDE

TIMEtoRIDE Active Member

When it rains - I ride like the road is wet grease, which it is !!

Good to hear you weren't hurt bad. The bike is easily fixed.

3. mirco

mirco Member

Glad you're alright and best wishes on a speedy recovery! I took a spill back in February - I feel your pain. Your bike doesn't sound too bad. How bad are the bars? You may be able to straighten them out. Were your blinkers stock or aftermarket?

4. bludytiger

bludytiger New Member

I haven't been riding yet, but I know from driving cars and stuff that I know that the worst time to drive in the rain is right at the start of the rain. The reason for this is because all the grease and oil that are on the road from road treatment, cars, and whatever else on the road comes loose. Like TIMEtoRIDE said, it's like wet grease. The rain will wash a lot of it away after a while, but the worst time is right when it first gets wet.

5. ManBot13

I "knew" that too, just felt like demonstrating it for everyone :oops: . But seriously, like a said, I was trying to "beat" the rain. I lost sight of what should have been my top priority, getting home safely. I got frustrated, lost, and distracted, and let myself forget all that I knew about this dangerous situation. I made a series of mistakes in the form of bad decisions, before I ever lost traction.

But to reiterate, ATGATT! It was designed for that slide and it did it's job. I've got lots of movement in my wrist after just one day, and I'll be back on the road soon.

6. ManBot13

I was also in an unfamiliar area. I should have been more careful. The exit I picked ended up basically a "U" . My wife said there were no signs warning about entry speed, she even entered too fast and had to hit the brakes. She also said she saw a cross on the side of the road.

I'm posting to help demonstrate how a series of bad decisions can end up badly. I was in the wrong frame of mind, and was unable to handle what really was a challenging situation. We need all of our wits about us when on the road, this is just one example of how true that really is.

7. Jamie

Jamie Member

Very glad to hear you are alright. Yes, the bike can be repaired, even replaced, you cannot. Not only when it's wet, but dry also, let's be careful out there.
    Jamie

8. JeffK

JeffK Well-Known Member

Sounds like you took a ride to Ellicott City Pwersports? It's right off 100 @ Rt40 and the roads there are a bit confusing if you aren't used to them. Heck, had you stayed straight on 100 eastbound, you would have ended up at my house with a garage to keep your bike dry.

You got lucky my friend, very lucky. Way back when I used to race, I learned that the thing to fear most if I get off while of public streets is CARS....cause they might not react to you turning into a rolling ball fast enough and hit you! Glad you had your gear on....I see the squids on their busa's, dressed in their tee's, shorts and even sandels and wonder if they realize how much they will look like hamburger meat if an accident happens....maybe that's why they corner like grandma, cause they don't want to get chewed up? Or maybe it's just they can't ride. Either way, if you have a brain & body worth protecting, you'll wear the gear, no matter how much of a rush you're in or how hot it is. If you don't, then by all means, don't bother wearing a helmet or gear.....

jeff

9. ManBot13

Here's my exact location, that I sent to my wife on my smartphone. I actually went to Glen Burnie, so meet someone about parts on CL.

My Location@7:48pm,5/14
    39.119288,-76.531265
    http://m.google.com/u/m/xcdfWL

Yeah Jeff, luckily, I slide right off the road and into the grass, but I was worried when people were helping me, that a car would do the same.

It would have been nice knowing someone in the area, the worst part was not knowing how to get the bike home (and that's saying something).

But absolutely, gear, gear, gear. I was working on convincing a friend, who just got his license, but doesn't have a bike yet, that $150 pants and $150 boots are worth it. He got the helmet, jacket, and gloves part, but then started giving me a lecture about walking around in a bubble...blah blah blah. I think it'll be a lot easier to convince him when he sees how shredded my pants are, and how not shredded my legs are

10. pabstblueribbon

pabstblueribbon Member

Hey! We wrecked the same day! If not for my gear I'd be in much worse shape! Hit my head slid on my arm and hip but my pants, jacket and helmet all did their jobs! No broken bones just lots of bruising. Glad to hear your ok as well!

11. ManBot13

Oh, and some quotes from the night:

Nurse: "So It says here you dropped the bike. Were you working on it and it fell on you, or were you moving?"
    Me: "Oh I was riding"
    --------
    Nurse: "So you dumped the bike"
    Me: "Yeah, I dumped the bike. Or it dumped me. I'm not really sure." (felt like I was talking about a relationship, up until then we were on good terms? We'll heal.)
    --------
    Doctor: "So you hurt your wrist in a motorcycle accident. Do you hurt anywhere else?"
    Me: "No just my wrist."
    Doctor: Looks Puzzled
    Me: "I was wearing full gear"
    Doctor: "Good"

I get the feeling that they aren't used to seeing motorcycle accidents end up well in the ER. And that they aren't used to seeing riders come in who wear full gear. Felt proud that I was so un-injured.

Good to hear you'll recover pabst, how'd your bike fare?

12. pabstblueribbon

pabstblueribbon Member

Still not sure the only damage I saw was a highway peg had punctured a left side motor cover so I had it towed...the bike leaked a gallon of gas leaked out but I think that was cause it was in an unnatural position...lol. Should hope to hear from progressive today so we can get the bike from the tow yard to a motorcycle mechanic....missing her already

13. KA1J

KA1J Member

I'm truly happy you weren't more severely damaged. The bike damage is just stuff to replace. I remember hitting the ground at 70 back when I was 18 and all I have to show is a scar on my right elbow and a shoulder that sometimes reminds me of that day. That happened a long time ago but as what happened with you, you learn lessons from it that will make you a better driver from now on.

I also wear a Joe Rocket jacket & a Full coverage Shoei Multitech helmet. My undergrad was in Nursing & I have seen the reasons to wear one,,,

Congrats on what truly was a good landing.

And what does the acronym ATGATT mean?

14. Altus

Altus Active Member

ATGATT - All The Gear All The Time

15. iwingameover

iwingameover Active Member

Glad you're ok.

Did you get the bike home now? I've got my truck in Columbia today. Would be a pain to load it (truck's on 37's) but I can get it home for you if you haven't.

16. ManBot13

Yeah, I just went ahead and got it towed home. Took care of that before getting my x-rays :D

I knew there were xj'ers out that way. I need to be more social and expand my network. Felt pretty lonely out there, an hour from home and not knowing anybody. Thank God for nice passerbys and smartphones. And a wife who came to get me and wasn't mad.

17. pabstblueribbon

pabstblueribbon Member

smart man...I for some reason let the police tow it...now I need to find someone else to get it from the police tow cause they don't drop off, they only pick up...and of course my shop is closed on Monday's so now there is another day of impound fees. D'oh!

18. OldSchoolOtter

OldSchoolOtter Member

Glad to hear you were geared up and made it out ok. I took a spill last October up at the Loch Raven Reservior. I dislocated my thumb when I rolled off and had some minor scrapes but it could have much worse I'm sure.

Let me know if there's anything I can do to help as far as the bike goes. Once you get yourself and the her back in full working order, let's get together for a ride.

19. JeffK

JeffK Well-Known Member

20. frankenbiker

frankenbiker Member

I agree with the ATGATT, hell even when I ride up to the corner store I at least wear my chaps and vest, gloves are manditory as far as I'm concerned.

Glad you were able to walk away, thats the important thing.