1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Handle bar removal

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by falexander84, Jun 11, 2016.

Tags:
  1. falexander84

falexander84 New Member

I have an 82 xj 750 maxim that has set in a yard for a few years before i bought it. I'm trying to clean up rust and corrosion but I cannot get the handle bars off. I have removed the pinch bolt and the nut on the bolt that seems to connect the bar to the triple tree. I thought that bolt would just be driven up and the handle bar would come off. Hit it with a hammer and nothing happened. nothing. ok what am I missing? do I need to hit it harder? i'm afraid of flattening the bolt ( a little more ) if I keep pounding. Help please

2. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

1. Don't hit bolts with hammers, ulness you have a brass or hard-wood drift in between.

2. Besides the pinch bolt at each bar there is a bolt on the top of each bar. Remove that bolt (it threads into the riser, and should have a plastic cap that must be pried off to reveal the allen socket), then the bars will pop up off of their splined riser.

3. The nut that you removed from below the triple tree is not connected to the bolt that is above the bars. It is connected to a stud that is part of the splined riser that the bars mount to. That splined riser is also held by a bolt from above, that goes through an ear on the front of the riser.

This linked fiche shows the risers http://www.yamahapartsnation.com/oemparts/a/yam/500421e3f8700209bc78742f/steering

This linked fiche shows the bars http://www.yamahapartsnation.com/oemparts/a/yam/500421e4f8700209bc787435/handlebar-cable

3. falexander84

falexander84 New Member

ok It looks like this. the cap is metal and does not want to pry off. How hard will this be to replace if I break it?

Attached Files:

4. k-moe

That's not the cap. It's the bolt. Don't pry on it; get an allen wrench and unthread it.
    The cap is black plastic, and apparently missing; though I do see what might be the remnant of the cap in the allen wrench hole, so clean that out with a sharp pointy thing.

5. falexander84

falexander84 New Member

did I mention I am a wiz at computers. Allen wrench it is. thank you.

6. falexander84

falexander84 New Member

And done. Next time you are in Myrtle Beach I'm buying the first round.

7. k-moe

Fair enough. You're lucky that my daughter moved away from SC last year :p